Conceptual thermodynamics question

In summary: This is the main difference between questions 16, 17, and 18. Question 16 is asking if the heat engine shown is a reversible (Carnot) heat engine, which would have the maximum efficiency. Question 17 is asking if it is an irreversible (Carnot) heat engine, which would have lower efficiency. And question 18 is asking if it is a hoax, implying that it is not a real heat engine and therefore has no efficiency. In summary, questions 16, 17, and 18 are asking about the efficiency of the heat engine shown and the differences between them lie in the type of heat engine and its maximum efficiency.
kuahji
http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_giancoli_physicsppa_6/0,8713,1115091-,00.html (under practice questions)

On questions 16,17, & 18 I'm trying to figure what is the difference between them (Clearly Tc is different, but how does that change the problem?). The question asks
The heat engine shown above is

a) a reversible (Carnot) heat engine.
b) an irreversible (Carnot) heat engine.
c) a hoax.
d) none of the above.

I'm guessing I just don't understand the concepts, as I thought a Carnot engine was suppose to avoid irreversible processes, like an idealization. Anyway, the answer to 17 & 18 are "a hoax." They all seem to have thermal efficiencies of less than 1, so how should I look at these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kuahji,

kuahji said:
http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_giancoli_physicsppa_6/0,8713,1115091-,00.html (under practice questions)

On questions 16,17, & 18 I'm trying to figure what is the difference between them (Clearly Tc is different, but how does that change the problem?). The question asks
The heat engine shown above is

a) a reversible (Carnot) heat engine.
b) an irreversible (Carnot) heat engine.
c) a hoax.
d) none of the above.

I'm guessing I just don't understand the concepts, as I thought a Carnot engine was suppose to avoid irreversible processes, like an idealization. Anyway, the answer to 17 & 18 are "a hoax." They all seem to have thermal efficiencies of less than 1, so how should I look at these questions?

For a heat engine operating between two heat reservoirs, what is the maximum efficiency possible?

The difference between the three questions lies in the temperature at which the heat engine operates. In question 16, the temperature of the hot reservoir (Th) is higher than the temperature of the cold reservoir (Tc), which is the typical setup for a Carnot heat engine. In question 17, the temperature of the hot reservoir (Th) is equal to the temperature of the cold reservoir (Tc), which is not possible for a Carnot engine. In question 18, the temperature of the hot reservoir (Th) is lower than the temperature of the cold reservoir (Tc), which is also not possible for a Carnot engine.

A Carnot heat engine is an idealized model that operates between two thermal reservoirs at different temperatures and achieves maximum efficiency. This means that it has no losses due to friction or other irreversible processes. However, in the real world, all engines have some level of irreversibility and therefore, cannot achieve the efficiency of a Carnot engine. This is why the answer to questions 17 and 18 is "a hoax," as they describe scenarios that are not possible for a Carnot engine.

To understand these questions, you should focus on the concept of thermal efficiency. This is the ratio of the work output to the heat input, and for a Carnot engine, it is equal to 1 - (Tc/Th), where Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir. As you mentioned, all three scenarios have thermal efficiencies of less than 1, indicating that they are not ideal Carnot engines. Therefore, the correct answer is "none of the above" for all three questions.

1. What is conceptual thermodynamics?

Conceptual thermodynamics is a branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to macroscopic systems. This field helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern energy and its interactions with matter.

2. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are:

1. The First Law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.
  2. The Second Law: The total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.
  3. The Third Law: As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a pure crystalline substance approaches zero.

3. How is thermodynamics related to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is closely related to everyday life as it helps us understand the behavior of heat and energy in our surroundings. It explains how engines, refrigerators, and other household appliances work, and also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In simpler terms, heat is energy in transit, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

5. How is thermodynamics used in industry?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in many industries, including power generation, chemical processing, and refrigeration. It helps engineers design and optimize systems for maximum efficiency and also ensures that processes are carried out safely and reliably.