Representation of magnetic hysteresis loss as a resistance in equivalent circuits

In summary: This post is in the wrong section of the forum. Would you like to move it to the appropriate forum?Kind Regards,ShahvirIn summary, someone has trouble understanding how to represent magnetic hysteresis loss in electrical equivalent circuits. They would like to deepen their understanding of the phenomenon.
b.shahvir
Hi Guys, :smile:

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the representation of 'Magnetic Hysteresis loss' as a resistance in electrical equivalent circuits?... will be extremely grateful.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

Engineering news on Phys.org
b.shahvir said:
Hi Guys, :smile:

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the representation of 'Magnetic Hysteresis loss' as a resistance in electrical equivalent circuits?... will be extremely grateful.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

Welcome to the PF. What can you tell us about your question? What have you learned so far about it? What web resources have you been using to investigate the question?

I have studied some info on this subject on the net. Even though the physics of Hysteresis Loss has been explained appropriately, I wish to dwell deeper into the phenomenon to get to the source of my doubt. In spite of the relevant theories, it becomes difficult to visualize a magnetic phenomenon into an electrical parameter as mentioned by me earlier. When we talk of energy expended by the power source to ‘pump up’ the magnetic field in the core, sounds a bit abstract!

I want to understand what phenomenon in the magnetic hysteresis causes the machine (Xmer or motor) to suck an additional losses (wattful) current from the power source.

Is it a result of the delay caused by the magnetic dipole friction in the magnetic core... which prevents the magnetic field from building up quickly? I would be grateful if someone could elaborate on this part. Thanx.

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

Someone please reply to this query too! :frown: (or is this query in the wrong section of the forum :confused:)

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

berkeman said:
I googled "magnetic hysteresis loss" and got lots of hits

Thanx for considering my request. The first thing i did was to browse the net like you did, but the discussions do not delve deep into he physics of Hysteresis loss! (they are general explanations). Still i'll give it a go.

berkeman said:
(including your post of the questionn on another forum, also without much of a reply). There seem to be some pretty good hits on the list:

OOPS! :biggrin:

Last edited:

What is magnetic hysteresis loss?

Magnetic hysteresis loss is the energy lost in a material due to the cycle of magnetization and demagnetization. This loss is caused by the friction and eddy currents generated within the material as it undergoes changes in its magnetic state.

How is magnetic hysteresis loss represented in equivalent circuits?

In equivalent circuits, magnetic hysteresis loss is typically represented as a resistance element. This resistance represents the energy dissipated in the material due to hysteresis effects.

Why is it important to consider magnetic hysteresis loss in equivalent circuits?

Magnetic hysteresis loss is an important factor to consider in equivalent circuits because it can significantly affect the performance and efficiency of a magnetic device. Neglecting this loss can lead to inaccurate circuit analysis and design.

How is the resistance value for magnetic hysteresis loss determined in equivalent circuits?

The resistance value for magnetic hysteresis loss is determined using experimental data and mathematical models that describe the hysteresis behavior of the material. This value can vary depending on the material, frequency, and amplitude of the magnetic field.

Are there any other ways to represent magnetic hysteresis loss in equivalent circuits?

Yes, there are other ways to represent magnetic hysteresis loss in equivalent circuits. Some alternative methods include using inductors with lossy cores or incorporating additional circuit elements to account for hysteresis effects. However, representing hysteresis loss as a resistance is the most commonly used approach.