Introductory books on quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a grad student in computer sciences with a BS in math seeking recommendations for references on quantum mechanics and mathematics of quantum computing. Some suggested books include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie Ballentine, and "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang. Other recommended texts are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor Rieffel and Wolfgang Polak. The student is currently reading Ballentine's book and finding it challenging but valuable, and has also read the first book suggested and found it helpful in understanding Ballentine
mvillagra
Hello, I'm a grad student in computer sciences with a BS in math starting to do research in quantum computing. Can somebody recommend me some references on quantum mechanics? Right now I'm reading Leslie Ballentine's book "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development", and just finished reading Nielsen and Chuang's book "Quantum Information and Quantum Computation". Are there other interesting references to take into account?

Is there any interesting book about mathematics of quantum computing?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you'll like David Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. It is a very good look inside Quantum Mechanics and it's math/physics side, apart from the theoretical insight.

Should you have any difficulties on the math side, Mary L. Boas Mathematical methods in the Physical Sciences is there for you :)

I am sure that's what anyone here would suggest to you, that's what they did with me!

karkas said:
I'm sure you'll like David Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.
I'm pretty sure he won't, since he is reading Ballentine which is way more advanced (at the Sakurai level).
@mvillagra: what do you think of Ballentine so far?
Some other texts: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0792336321/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

For quantum computing (which I don't know anything of), https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521635039/?tag=pfamazon01-20 seems to be quite popular.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821832298/?tag=pfamazon01-20 may also be worth checking out.

Landau said:
@mvillagra: what do you think of Ballentine so far?

I'm starting to read chapter 4 right now, and until now for me it seems a really abstract introduction, which I appreciate but sometimes the explanations are hard to follow . It looks like a book that you will need to devote yourself reading it very carefully. As a computer sciences student I would prefer a more basic text and then go on with ballentine.

Landau said:
For quantum computing (which I don't know anything of), https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521635039/?tag=pfamazon01-20 seems to be quite popular.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821832298/?tag=pfamazon01-20 may also be worth checking out.

I actually read the first book, and thanks to that I am able to follow ballentine's book. It is a very popular book in the quantum computing community and it is really easy to understand.

mvillagra said:
It looks like a book that you will need to devote yourself reading it very carefully. As a computer sciences student I would prefer a more basic text and then go on with ballentine.
May I suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/0306447908/?tag=pfamazon01-20?

Of course, you can always check out Griffiths, but compared to Ballentine it's really easy and shallow. But maybe it's good as a supplement.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other at a quantum level, which is very different from the classical mechanics that governs the behavior of larger objects.

2. What are some good introductory books on quantum mechanics?

Some popular introductory books on quantum mechanics include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller. It is important to choose a book that matches your level of understanding and interests.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to understand quantum mechanics?

While a good understanding of mathematics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts of quantum mechanics, many introductory books on the subject provide explanations and examples that do not require advanced mathematics. However, some knowledge of calculus and linear algebra will be helpful in understanding the more complex concepts.

4. Can quantum mechanics be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, quantum mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, electronics, and cryptography. For example, it is used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as transistors and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules, which is essential in many areas of science and technology.

5. Is quantum mechanics a difficult subject to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be a challenging subject to understand due to its abstract and counterintuitive nature. However, with the help of well-written introductory books and a willingness to learn and ask questions, anyone can gain a basic understanding of its principles and applications. Patience and persistence are key in mastering this complex but fascinating field.