Actual infinitesimal, actual infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitesimals and infinitesmals in mathematical systems. It is mentioned that in the standard set of real numbers, there are no infinitesmals or actual infinities. Non-standard analysis uses hyper-real numbers which do include infinitesmals. The definition of an Archimedean system is also mentioned, as well as different interpretations of "actual infinity" and "infinitesimal".
Pjpic
Is there an actual infinitesimal in the way that there is an actual infinity. Or would zero fill that role.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can define a number system by adding an additional symbol [itex] \epsilon[/itex] and defining it by [itex] \epsilon ^2 = 0[/itex] and then taking the set of all [itex]a+b \epsilon [/itex] where a and b are real numbers. You can add and multiply like normal using distributivity and commutativity. But in the standard set of real numbers there is no infinitesimal, just like there is no actual infinity

What do YOU mean by "actual infinity"? "Non-standard analysis" uses the "hyper-real numbers" with infinitesmals. But, as Office Shredder said, there is no "actual infinitesmal" just as there is no "actual infinity".

Office_Shredder said:
But in the standard set of real numbers there is no infinitesimal, just like there is no actual infinity

I thought 0 was an infinitesimal.

No, it isn't.

"In common speech, an infinitesimal object is an object which is smaller than any feasible measurement, hence not zero size, but so small that it cannot be distinguished from zero by any available means."

" number system is said to be Archimedean if it contains no infinite or infinitesimal members."
and, of course, the real numbers are Archimedan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimal

I'm accustomed to the definition "a system is Archimedian iff the only infinitesimal it contains is zero".

HallsofIvy said:
What do YOU mean by "actual infinity"?

The number that can't be added to.

I'm understand a potential infinity to be more like a function.

Pjpic said:

If by infinity, you mean "a number which no other is greater", then the real numbers contain no infinities.

If by infinitesimal, you mean "a nonzero number which is less in magnitude than all others", then again, there are no infinitesimals in the reals.

Pjpic said:
HallsofIvy said:
What do YOU mean by "actual infinity"?

Pjpic said:
Is there an actual infinitesimal in the way that there is an actual infinity. Or would zero fill that role.
The reason I asked was that your original post (which I have quoted here) implied that there exists an "actual infinity". There does not- not in the real numbers. There are many different ways to define both "infinity" and "infintesmal" in other systems.

1. What is an actual infinitesimal?

An actual infinitesimal is a mathematical concept that refers to a quantity that is infinitely small, but still greater than zero. It is often denoted by the symbol "dx" or "dy" and is used in the study of calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. How is an actual infinitesimal different from a traditional limit?

An actual infinitesimal is different from a traditional limit in that it represents a specific value, whereas a traditional limit represents a value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. In other words, an actual infinitesimal is a finite quantity, while a limit is an infinite quantity.

3. What is an example of an actual infinitesimal?

An example of an actual infinitesimal is the derivative of a function at a specific point. In this case, the derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function, which is a specific value rather than a limit.

4. What is an actual infinity?

An actual infinity is a mathematical concept that refers to a quantity that is infinitely large, without any limit. It is often denoted by the symbol "∞" and is used in various branches of mathematics, such as set theory and calculus.

5. How is an actual infinity different from a potential infinity?

An actual infinity is different from a potential infinity in that it represents a completed, infinite quantity, whereas a potential infinity represents a quantity that continues to increase without bound. For example, the set of all natural numbers is an actual infinity, while the process of counting to infinity is a potential infinity.