Chaffing Legs? Ways to Relieve Me Poor Old Pins

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, since I am obliged to travel by shanks pony every where these day, I have a problem, it is hot and humid and the top of my legs chaff against my jeans. Anyone else have this problem? I am fed up walking like a duck. Need a little silk woolie. How's every thing else? I usually wear shorts if it's not in the middle of the winter. As a last ditch effort, you can go into the bathroom and use toilet paper to wipe the sides of your legs dry after arriving somewhere.Thanks for asking dlgoff, I have been branded as having a serious mental illness, stuff and nonsense if you ask me, but it
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Since i am obliged to travel by shanks pony every where these day, i have a problem, it is hot and humid and the top of my legs chaff against my jeans , anyone else have this problem?
i am fed up walking like a duck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Need a little silk woolie. How's every thing else?

I usually wear shorts if it's not in the middle of the winter.

Also, getting pants with a less coarse material (khakis tend to be smoother than jeans, for example. Or sweatpants even) seems to help.

As a last ditch effort, you can go into the bathroom and use toilet paper to wipe the sides of your legs dry after arriving somewhere

dlgoff said:
Need a little silk woolie. How's every thing else?

Thanks for asking dlgoff, i have been branded as having a serious mental illness, stuff and nonsense if you ask me, but it will be at least 3 months before i can drive again.

Have you tried dusting your legs with corn-starch? I used to wear loose khakis when I worked on paper machines, but some of my crew used corn-starch to prevent/relieve chafing.

turbo-1 said:
Have you tried dusting your legs with corn-starch? I used to wear loose khakis when I worked on paper machines, but some of my crew used corn-starch to prevent/relieve chafing.

I have corn flour, the stuff for thickening gravy, is that the same?

monkey_butt_powder_300.jpg

Might be better than corn-starch. :biggrin:

Award-winning Anti Monkey Butt Powder is specially formulated to prevent soreness and itching caused by frictional skin irritation.
http://www.raraequus.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=21707"

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
monkey_butt_powder_300.jpg

might be better than corn-starch. :biggrin:

lol.

Please don't actually answer this question, just think the answer quietly to yourself. :biggrin: What kind of underwear are you wearing? Perhaps boxer briefs (someone from Britain may have to translate that into Woolie-speak if it's not the same term there) will provide the necessary barrier between your legs and surfaces that can chafe, without actually chafing themselves.

And, yes, regular corn starch, like you have in the kitchen, will work just fine. There are also powders that are mostly corn starch but with just a little extra ingredients that keep it from clumping together so it's easier to apply that you could try. If you have the brand Gold Bond powder there, that's medicated, so will help relieve the itch and sting of the chafing already there while preventing further chafing.

If none of these things work, tryhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_shorts" .

Hope you can get back behind the wheel soon, Woolie.

I used to have the same problem. It was an awfully long time ago, but I think that I used Vaseline Intensive care lotion for it.

Captain Kirk (William Shatner) swears by women's panty hose to avoid chafing.

You could cut the legs off just above or below the knees if you don't want full coverage.

Evo said:

You could cut the legs off just above or below the knees if you don't want full coverage.

Evo knows her nylons - a very good idea.

Evo said:
A good idea in principle, but I can foresee some inconvenience when he has to throw a whiz. :uhh:

Evo said:

That sounds a lot like the Joe Namath solution...

Evo said:

Ha, I was about to suggest bicycle shorts. This sounds a lot less obviously embarrassing. Shatner probably wears a girdle too. Maybe Woolie can find a nice set of pumps to complete the package. ;-p

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ha, I was about to suggest bicycle shorts. This sounds a lot less obviously embarrassing. Shatner probably wears a girdle too. Maybe Woolie can find a nice set of pumps to complete the package. ;-p

I still think Evo knocked it out of the ball park - sans pumps and girdle (shame on you SA).

evo said:
captain kirk (william shatner) swears by women's panty hose to avoid chafing.

lmao.

wolram said:
i have been branded as having a serious mental illness, stuff and nonsense if you ask me

Everyone in UK drives as if having a mental illness. I think it is called hemispatial neglect.

Borek said:
Everyone in UK drives as if having a mental illness. I think it is called hemispatial neglect.

I blame seat belts and air bags.

I think you were not able to keep close to the right curb even before seat belts.

Borek said:
I think you were not able to keep close to the right curb even before seat belts.

:rofl:

Borek said:

I will let that one go, the sword is mightier than the word.:wink:

wolram said:
Me poor old pins
Wollie, you do have a knack for launching witty threads :smile: Good to see you back in the saddle!

Moonbear said:
Perhaps boxer briefs (someone from Britain may have to translate that into Woolie-speak if it's not the same term there) will provide the necessary barrier between your legs and surfaces that can chafe, without actually chafing themselves.
actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_shorts" may be what you are thinking, (to disambiguate from boxer briefs).

Corn is another term to disambiguate. Corn in U.S. refers to maize (Zea mays). Corn starch would be a good powder to minimize friction but "corn flour" may be too gritty or coarse and generate more chaffing. Other powders are good too, such as talc and many food starches besides corn: potato starch, rice starch and even http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=oatstarch" .

Thanks Quabache, i solved the problem by buying track suit bottoms, it feels strange wearing them and i am sure no one will recognize me now.

Ouabache said:
actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_shorts" may be what you are thinking, (to disambiguate from boxer briefs).

No, I didn't mean boxer shorts. Those wouldn't likely help much with chafing, since they'd also be loose and moving about rubbing the legs. I meant boxer briefs...the kind that are made from the same elasticized material as briefs, but extend further down the thighs. The types of underwear guys often wear when working out at the gym.

Something like these:
http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&storeId=301&langId=-1&productId=500767541
Just without any hint of genitalia shadows photoshopped out of them (at least I hope they aren't really that tight, or the model isn't that, um, small).

That must be a eunuch Moonb, either that or the pants have crushed his cream crackers.

Woolie, perhaps you're switching up the wrong thing.

Considered a bicycle?

1. What is chaffing and why does it occur on the legs?

Chaffing is a skin irritation that occurs when the skin rubs against itself or clothing repeatedly. It is most common in areas where skin-to-skin contact or friction is high, such as the inner thighs or underarms. Chaffing on the legs can be caused by activities such as running, cycling, or walking for long periods of time.

2. How can I prevent chaffing on my legs?

To prevent chaffing on your legs, you can try wearing loose-fitting clothing made of moisture-wicking material, using anti-chaffing products such as powders or balms, or applying a layer of petroleum jelly or body glide to the areas prone to chaffing. It is also important to stay hydrated and take breaks during physical activities to reduce friction.

3. What are some ways to relieve chaffing on my legs?

If you are already experiencing chaffing on your legs, you can try taking a warm bath with epsom salt to soothe the irritated skin. You can also apply a cold compress or aloe vera gel to reduce inflammation and pain. Avoid wearing tight clothing and try to keep the affected area dry and clean to promote healing.

4. Can chaffing on my legs lead to other skin problems?

Chaffing on the legs can lead to other skin problems if left untreated. The constant rubbing and irritation can cause the skin to become raw and open, making it more susceptible to infections. It can also lead to scarring or discoloration of the skin in severe cases. It is important to take preventive measures and treat chaffing promptly to avoid these complications.

5. When should I see a doctor for chaffing on my legs?

If the chaffing on your legs is severe and does not improve with at-home treatments, or if you notice signs of infection such as redness, swelling, or pus, it is important to see a doctor. They can prescribe medication or ointments to help with the healing process and prevent further complications.