Carbon nanotube transmission

In summary, the transmission spectrum of carbon nanotubes changes a lot with the bias voltage. This is because there are at least two conducting modes even at no bias.
carbon9
Hi friends,

I've calculated the transmission spectrum of ideal carbon nanotubes for various applied voltages on them. I obtained the transmission spectra shown below for various bias voltages. However, I could not interpret why the transmission spectra changes so much with the bias voltage.

I have to explain the variation in the transmission spectrum analytically. For the best, I need the transmission spectrum function which will have some physical parameters that can be related to the applied voltage. Could anybody please help? Any help will be appreciated.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4789/87209245.png

Regards,
carbon9

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate the transmission spectrum in the first place?
What chirality of carbon nanotube is the simulation for, as only 1/3 of nanotubes are metals and 2/3 are semi-conductors.
Did you use DFT or Tight binding, or some other theory.
I don't think you supplied nearly enough information.

What theory are you using here?

It's a metallic CNT because at 0 eV, the transmission is 2, which means there are at least 2 conducting modes even at no bias. (no bandgap)

But I have no idea what you mean by "different biases" because to read this plot, you need to interpret the x-axis (the difference between the two contacts' electrochemical potential) as the BIAS.

So what other "bias" do you mean here? Is there a third terminal? Do you mean to say there exists a "gate" voltage also?

Another thing that's probably wrong: Why would I ever see a DECREASE in conductance
for increasing voltage?

Unless you are considering a complicated structure (something like a double-barrier etc..) it's nonsensical to see a decrease in conductance...

Post some more information and let's see

Thanks for your interest.

* I used (6,6) CNT (metallic).
* I used the software: ATK.2008 from Atomistix (Quantumwise).
* There is no third electrode. The CNT is connected to bias voltage from its right and left ends.
* x-axis is the energy of the electron whose transmission probability is given in the y-axis if it is injected by the supply voltage.
* I applied 0V, 1V and 2V bias voltages between the ends of the CNT and then obtained the transmission spectra as shown in the figure.
* I think, the important point is that the transmission spectrum shows a decreasing trend as the voltage applied between the two ends of the CNT is increased.
* I'm trying to obtain an analytical formulation of the transmission spectrum function using the standard Landauer-Büttkiker Approach.

Thanks for your answers.
Regards,

What kind of scattering is assumed here?
as I said there are several issues, fluctuating transmission doesn't make snse.

and WHY would the transmission spectrum show a decreasing trend? Do you have a simple reason for that or is it just something that comes out of your code?

Try NEGF-Landauer it'll be much cleaner.

Thanks.

It looks kinda fishy that the conductances are not exact integers for vanishing bias. For a perfect nanotube, the conductance should simply equal the number of propagating modes. And as said before, it does not really make sense that the transmission/conductance fluctuates like that. And as for the finite bias results, does the software calculate the conductance using the linear response result
[tex]G=G_Q \int_{E_F-eV/2}^{E_F+eV/2} dE T(E)[/tex]?
This is not a good idea for as strong bias voltages as 1 eV, for which non-equilibrium methods should be used (and even they might not be that realistic).

Last edited:
Thank you Saaskis.

Yes, for a perfect 1-D system, the transmission has to be intiger multiples however, the simulated system consists over 700 carbon atoms hence, lots of non-idealities also affect the results I think. The software I used is already DFT-NEGF simulator which is said to perform accurate calculations even for high bias by calculating the transmission spectrum as shown above.

I did not use the linear response approximation but the Landauer formula to calculate the conductance and the current, in fact the software I use uses Landauer approach to calculate the current and the conductance. When the transmission is like in the fig., the current shows a saturation regime in high biases.

Regards

1. What are carbon nanotube transmissions?

Carbon nanotube transmissions are a type of transmission technology that utilizes carbon nanotubes, which are tiny cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms. They are extremely strong, lightweight, and have excellent thermal and electrical conductivity, making them ideal for use in transmission systems.

2. How do carbon nanotube transmissions work?

Carbon nanotube transmissions work by using carbon nanotubes to create a network of nanoscale wires that can conduct electricity and heat. This network allows for the efficient transfer of energy, making them ideal for use in various transmission systems.

3. What are the benefits of using carbon nanotube transmissions?

There are several benefits to using carbon nanotube transmissions, including their high strength-to-weight ratio, efficient energy transfer, and resistance to corrosion and wear. They also have the potential to be more cost-effective and environmentally friendly compared to traditional transmission materials.

4. What are some potential applications of carbon nanotube transmissions?

Carbon nanotube transmissions have a wide range of potential applications, including use in electric vehicles, aerospace and defense systems, renewable energy technologies, and medical devices. They can also be used in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and tablets.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using carbon nanotube transmissions?

While carbon nanotube transmissions have many advantages, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These include the high cost of production and the challenges of scaling up production for large-scale applications. Additionally, there may be concerns about the long-term health and environmental impacts of using carbon nanotubes.