Find peak in the historgram data file - FORTRAN

In summary, to find the peak in a histogram data file using FORTRAN, you can use a peak-finding algorithm such as the maximum peak algorithm or the derivative-based algorithm. There are also built-in functions in FORTRAN such as MAXVAL that can help find the peak, but it is recommended to use a specific algorithm. If there are multiple peaks, you may need to adjust parameters or use a different algorithm. Preprocessing techniques can improve accuracy, and FORTRAN can handle different data formats with the use of I/O functions or external libraries.
gaijin1
Hello guys,

I have a file with X Y values (separated by space)

I want to scan the data to find the PEAK in the file. (It will probably be a lowest Y point...)

How do I do this is Fortran?

Thank you,

Alexander

Technology news on Phys.org
Seems like...
Code:
OPEN(11,file='inputfile.dat',form='formatted')
DO n=1,nPts
  READ(11,*) x,y
END DO
peak_val = MINVAL(y)
peak_loc = MINLOC(y)
Can you elaborate a little more on this "peak" that you need to find? Do you need to take derivatives?

Hello Alexander,

In order to find the peak in your histogram data file using FORTRAN, you will need to use a combination of data reading and analysis techniques. Here are some steps you can follow:

1. First, you will need to read in the data from your file using a READ statement in FORTRAN. You can use a DO loop to read in each line of data and store the X and Y values in separate arrays.

2. Once you have all the data stored, you can use a DO loop again to iterate through the Y values and find the lowest point. You can do this by setting a variable to the first Y value and then comparing it to the rest of the Y values in the array. If a Y value is lower than the current lowest value, update the variable to that value.

3. After the loop is complete, the variable will hold the lowest Y value, which should correspond to the peak in your histogram data.

4. You can then use a PRINT statement to output the X and Y values for the peak to the screen or to a new file.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the steps.

Best,

1. How do I find the peak in a histogram data file using FORTRAN?

To find the peak in a histogram data file using FORTRAN, you will need to use a peak-finding algorithm. This algorithm will scan through the data and identify the highest point, which is considered the peak. There are multiple peak-finding algorithms available, such as the maximum peak algorithm or the derivative-based algorithm, which you can implement in FORTRAN to find the peak in your histogram data file.

2. Can I use built-in functions in FORTRAN to find the peak in a histogram data file?

Yes, there are built-in functions in FORTRAN that can help you find the peak in a histogram data file. For example, the MAXVAL function can be used to find the maximum value in an array, which could correspond to the peak in your histogram data. However, it is recommended to use a specific peak-finding algorithm for more accurate results.

3. What if there are multiple peaks in my histogram data file? How do I find all of them using FORTRAN?

If your histogram data file has multiple peaks, you can still use a peak-finding algorithm in FORTRAN to identify all of them. You may need to adjust the parameters of the algorithm or use a different algorithm altogether to accurately detect all the peaks in your data. Alternatively, you can also plot the histogram and visually identify the peaks.

4. Is it necessary to preprocess the histogram data file before finding the peak in FORTRAN?

It is not always necessary to preprocess the histogram data file before finding the peak in FORTRAN. However, it may improve the accuracy of the results. Preprocessing techniques such as smoothing or filtering can help remove noise from the data and make it easier to identify the peak.

5. Can I use FORTRAN to find the peak in a histogram data file that is in a different format?

Yes, FORTRAN can be used to find the peak in a histogram data file that is in a different format. However, you may need to read the data file and convert it into a format that is compatible with FORTRAN before applying the peak-finding algorithm. You can use built-in I/O functions or external libraries to read and convert the data into a format that FORTRAN can work with.