LaTeX : P slash and partial slash

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for representing the slash notation \not p in the equation \gamma_\mu p^\mu = \not p. Some options include using the \displaystyle{\not}p or p\!\!\!/ notations, as well as the \cancel{P} command.
Hepth
Gold Member
How do you guys do slashes for [tex]\gamma_\mu p^\mu = \not p[/tex]

that p slash is a /not p, but it looks bad. I've tried finding a better way but I'm not sure how. What do you guys do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hepth said:
How do you guys do slashes for [tex]\gamma_\mu p^\mu = \not p[/tex]

that p slash is a /not p, but it looks bad. I've tried finding a better way but I'm not sure how. What do you guys do?

[tex] \not p[/tex] = \not p
[tex] \displaystyle{\not} p[/tex] = \displaystyle{\not} p

Why? Beats me.

Here's another trick that's sometimes used

[tex]p\!\!\!/[/tex] = p\!\!\!/

Last edited:
Otherwise, you can also you the \cancel{P} to do the same thing.

Cheers

1. What is the meaning of "P slash" and "partial slash" in LaTeX?

"P slash" and "partial slash" refer to two different symbols used in LaTeX to represent the partial derivative operator. The "P slash" is written as \partial and is used to represent partial differentiation with respect to one variable. The "partial slash" is written as \partial\partial and is used to represent partial differentiation with respect to two variables.

2. How do I type "P slash" and "partial slash" in LaTeX?

To type "P slash" in LaTeX, you can use the command \partial. To type "partial slash", you can use the command \partial\partial. These commands will produce the appropriate symbols in your LaTeX document.

3. Can I change the appearance of "P slash" and "partial slash" in my LaTeX document?

Yes, you can change the appearance of "P slash" and "partial slash" by using different font styles or sizes. You can also use the \mathbf{} command to make them bold, or the \mathit{} command to make them italicized. Additionally, you can use the \mathrm{} command to remove any extra spacing around the symbols.

4. Are "P slash" and "partial slash" only used for partial differentiation?

No, "P slash" and "partial slash" can also be used for other mathematical operations, such as gradient, divergence, and curl. These symbols are versatile and can be used in various mathematical expressions in LaTeX.

5. Is there a difference between "P slash" and "partial slash" in terms of functionality?

No, there is no difference in functionality between "P slash" and "partial slash". They both represent the partial derivative operator and can be used interchangeably in LaTeX. It is a matter of personal preference or style which one you choose to use in your document.