Proving the Ideal Property of a Set in a Commutative Ring with Identity

In summary, the theorem is proving that if a set I exists in a ring R, it is an ideal. This set is made up of all the terms with the same coefficient, no matter what the terms are. The first step is to show that if r_1c_1+ r_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r_nc_n and s_1c_1+ s_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ s_nc_n are members of this set, their sum is also a member. This is done by finding t_1, t_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot
j9mom

Homework Statement

I need to prove this theorem Let R be a commutative ring with identity and c1,c2,...cn E (element of) R Then the set I={r1c1+r2c2+...+rncn|r1,r2,...,rn E R} is an ideal in R

Homework Equations

Well I do know I need to prove closure under subtraction, closure under multiplication and absorption r E R and a E I show ra E I and ar E I I know because R is commutative I do not have to prove both ways. and I know that just proving absorption will prove multiplication.

The Attempt at a Solution

so, I guess I am just confused on what the set I looks like.

to prove closure under subraction I need to elements from I. What would these two elements look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
The set "looks like" exactly what it says: All things of the form [itex]r_1c_1+ r_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r_nc_n[/itex] where [itex]c_1, c_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, c_n[/itex] are given (fixed) members of ring R and [itex]r_1, r_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, r_n[/itex] can be any members of the ring.

So you want to prove:
(1) Closed under addition: If [itex]r_1c_1+ r_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r_nc_n[/itex] and [itex]s_1c_1+ s_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ s_nc_n[/itex] are members of this set, it their sum also a member? That is can it be written in the same way: find [itex]t_1, t_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, t_n[/itex] such that the sum of those two is [itex]t_1c_1+ t_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ t_nc_n[/itex].

(2) "Absorption" of the entire ring: If [itex]r_1c_1+ r_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r_nc_n[/itex] is in the set, show that [itex]r(r_1c_1+ r_2c_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ r_nc_n)[/itex], for r any member of the ring, is of that same form.

Those are both just as easy as they look.

Ok that is easy.

So under addition, because R is a ring then r1+s1 will be in R so the (r1+s1)c1+(r2+s2)c2... is in I

And because R is a Ring and closed under multiplication r*r1, r*r2,... are in R so r*r1c1+r*r2c2+... is in I

So it is a ideal in R

Thanks

1. What is the Commutative Ring Theorem?

The Commutative Ring Theorem is a fundamental theorem in abstract algebra that states that, in a commutative ring, the order of multiplication does not matter. This means that for any two elements a and b in the ring, a * b = b * a.

2. What is a commutative ring?

A commutative ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, a binary operation (usually denoted by *), and two special elements (zero and one) that follow a specific set of axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of an additive identity and multiplicative identity.

3. What are some examples of commutative rings?

One example of a commutative ring is the set of integers (ℤ) with the operation of addition and multiplication. Another example is the set of polynomials with coefficients in a field, such as the set of real numbers (ℝ).

4. What is the significance of the Commutative Ring Theorem?

The Commutative Ring Theorem is significant because it allows us to freely rearrange the order of multiplication in commutative rings without changing the result. This makes certain algebraic manipulations and calculations much simpler and more efficient.

5. How is the Commutative Ring Theorem related to other mathematical concepts?

The Commutative Ring Theorem is closely related to other concepts in abstract algebra, such as groups, fields, and modules. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and topology.