Is it worth still majoring in physics even though I failed a core subject?

In summary, the conversation is about a second year university student who is struggling with a specific physics course and is considering whether it is still worth pursuing a degree in physics. They received advice from someone who also struggled with a physics course but ultimately succeeded and pursued a career in the field. The student is now questioning if they should retake the course or consider a different path.
Hit3k
I know this sounds silly but hear me out.
I'm a second year uni student intending to major in physics and I was going fine with physics until the start of the year when I encountered Atomic, Nuclear and Condensed Matter Physics(ANCMP). I tackled it again and again dedicating long periods of time to studying it but it just didn't stick in my head. I just couldn't do it. The other half of the course was quantum mechanics which I was fine with and was a shining moment for me in my time doing physics.

The ANCMP exam came along and I just crashed I completely messed it up and I was afraid I was going to fail the class. To cut a long story short: I did.

This was a huge blow the gut because I used to be so confident in my physics and this has just lowered my self esteem.

So now I'm wondering if it is still worth pursuing an undergraduate degree and then higher degrees physics?

I appreciate any opinions/advice you guys have
Thanks.

Edit: I should add that I've applied to do a supplementary exam because I was extremely close to passing and the ANCMP was a majority of the marks for the course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Maybe taking the class again would not be that harmful.

I remember failing the second in my physics diploma. Some professors at the time even suggested that I shoud leave the scientific field. I decided to take the year again, got much stronger in all the classes.

Three years ago, I finished my PhD in nuclear physics. I am now working in the nuclear business, making PSA calculations for different nuclear designs.

Just to say that if you have a passion, might as well give it a second try. If you cannot get it into your head then, maybe you should think about changing.

Cheers

1. Is a physics major still worth pursuing if I failed a core subject?

Yes, it is still worth majoring in physics even if you failed a core subject. While it may seem daunting, it is important to remember that failure is a natural part of the learning process and should not discourage you from pursuing your interests.

2. Will failing a core subject make it harder for me to succeed in a physics major?

Failing a core subject may make it more challenging, but it does not necessarily determine your success in a physics major. It is important to assess why you failed and work on improving your understanding and study habits in that subject to ensure success in future courses.

3. Can I still get a job in the field of physics if I failed a core subject?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in physics even if you failed a core subject. Employers often value a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills more than a perfect academic record. Additionally, internships and research experiences can also make you a competitive candidate in the job market.

4. Will my GPA suffer if I major in physics after failing a core subject?

It is possible that your GPA may be negatively affected if you major in physics after failing a core subject. However, GPA is not the only factor that determines success in a major or in your future career. As long as you continue to work hard and improve your understanding, your overall academic record will reflect your determination and perseverance.

5. What steps should I take if I failed a core subject and still want to major in physics?

If you are determined to major in physics despite failing a core subject, it is important to take the following steps: assess why you failed and work on improving your understanding of the subject, seek help from professors or tutors, take advantage of resources such as study groups and office hours, and continue to work hard and stay motivated. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor to create a plan for success in your major.