How does capillary action not violate conservation of energy?

In summary: You have to do work to raise the water and expose it to the dry surface. So the energy you get from capillary action would be less than the energy you put in to raise the water in the first place. In summary, capillary action and complete destructive interference do not violate the law of conservation of energy. In the case of destructive interference, the energy of the waves is canceled out and in the case of capillary action, the energy comes from intermolecular forces. However, there is a limit to how much energy can be obtained from capillary action as it requires energy to raise the water and expose it to a dry surface.
peter.ell
I know that the law of conservation of energy is not violated by either complete destructive interference or capillary action, but I'm curious then what happens to the energy and where it comes from in these cases, since I can't figure it out.

Consider the case of complete destructive interference by either anti-reflective coatings or active noise canceling headphones. In both cases, two waves interfere completely destructively so as to cancel each other out, and the energy is not simply redistributed to areas of constructive interference because there are none. So what happens to the energy?

And in the case of capillary action, where does the energy come from? Is it all just from the potential energy of the intermolecular forces? If so, than that would mean that water molecules at the top of a tree have less intermolecular forces than water at the bottom, but I doubt this. Plus, the fact that energy must not only bring the water up the tree, but the fact that this water now has gravitational potential energy means that the energy from the upward moving water must be equal to the energy required to move up the tree PLUS all the gravitational potential energy that it will be able to exert if it suddenly fell from the top. Where does all this come from?

Thank you. I know I'm not thinking about this correctly, so I appreciate you enlightening me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the case of complete destructive interference by either anti-reflective coatings or active noise canceling headphones. In both cases, two waves interfere completely destructively so as to cancel each other out, and the energy is not simply redistributed to areas of constructive interference because there are none. So what happens to the energy?

An equal amount of energy was put into both waves. Each expends its energy to cancel the other out.

And in the case of capillary action, where does the energy come from? Is it all just from the potential energy of the intermolecular forces? If so, than that would mean that water molecules at the top of a tree have less intermolecular forces than water at the bottom, but I doubt this. Plus, the fact that energy must not only bring the water up the tree, but the fact that this water now has gravitational potential energy means that the energy from the upward moving water must be equal to the energy required to move up the tree PLUS all the gravitational potential energy that it will be able to exert if it suddenly fell from the top. Where does all this come from?

It is all intermolecular forces like you said. If the diameter of the capillary is small enough, then the intermolecular force can override gravity for a while. Once it gets wide enough it no longer has the energy to hold all the water up against gravity, otherwise you would see water creeping up over the sides of large barrels and such. I think that also explains why a narrow tube will only have a meniscus of a certain height. The combined weight of all the water eventually adds up and equals the capillary action, resulting in a stable meniscus.

If so, than that would mean that water molecules at the top of a tree have less intermolecular forces than water at the bottom, but I doubt this.

Why is that? The intermolecular forces are the same strength no matter where the water is.

peter.ell said:
Consider the case of complete destructive interference by either anti-reflective coatings or active noise canceling headphones. In both cases, two waves interfere completely destructively so as to cancel each other out, and the energy is not simply redistributed to areas of constructive interference because there are none.
In the case of noise canceling headphones there are, in fact, areas of constructive interference. In addition, for both noise canceling headphones and anti-reflective coatings the remainder of the energy goes into heat.

Plus, the fact that energy must not only bring the water up the tree, but the fact that this water now has gravitational potential energy means that the energy from the upward moving water must be equal to the energy required to move up the tree PLUS all the gravitational potential energy that it will be able to exert if it suddenly fell from the top.
Didn't you just count the same energy twice?

In anti reflective coatings the energy all goes forward. There needs to be no loss. It's just like a lossless matching network at the interface between transmission lines of different impedances. Remember, it only works over a finite bandwidth.

In capillary action, presumably there is a reduction in temperature / internal energy? That would account for where the energy came from. With thermal energy, a little goes a long way when transferred to mechanical energy.

What's stopping us from using capillary action to raise water and then use that water to turn a turbine?

I admit I don't know the answer, but I suspect the answer will help satisfactorily address OP's question.

How would you get the water out of the capillary in order to turn the turbine?

Lsos said:
What's stopping us from using capillary action to raise water and then use that water to turn a turbine?

Capillary action occurs when the surface energy of a dry surface is higher than the surface energy of a wet surface. The water moves to wet the surface because it decreases the total free energy. But it takes energy to remove that water and dry the surface again; the energy isn't free!

1. How does capillary action not violate conservation of energy?

Capillary action is the ability of a liquid to flow against gravity in narrow spaces due to adhesive and cohesive forces. This process does not violate the conservation of energy because the potential energy gained by the liquid as it rises is balanced by the decrease in potential energy of the surrounding surfaces. In other words, the energy required for the liquid to rise is equal to the energy released by the liquid as it falls back down.

2. What are adhesive and cohesive forces?

Adhesive forces are the attractive forces between molecules of different substances. Cohesive forces are the attractive forces between molecules of the same substance. In the case of capillary action, adhesive forces between the liquid molecules and the walls of the narrow space, as well as cohesive forces between the liquid molecules themselves, allow the liquid to rise against gravity.

3. How does the surface tension of the liquid affect capillary action?

The surface tension of a liquid is the cohesive force between molecules at the surface. A higher surface tension means a stronger cohesive force, which allows the liquid to form a meniscus and rise higher in a narrow space. Therefore, a higher surface tension can enhance capillary action.

4. Does the width of the narrow space affect capillary action?

Yes, the width of the space does affect capillary action. A narrower space means a greater surface area for the liquid to interact with, resulting in a stronger adhesive force and a higher capillary rise. A wider space means a smaller surface area and a weaker adhesive force, resulting in a lower capillary rise.

5. Are there any limitations to capillary action?

Yes, there are some limitations to capillary action. The height to which a liquid can rise through capillary action is limited by the weight of the liquid and the strength of the adhesive forces. Additionally, the liquid must have a certain surface tension and viscosity to be able to undergo capillary action. The type of material used for the walls of the narrow space can also affect capillary action.