Antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic coupling

• Thread starter qubits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, antiferromagnetic coupling refers to a Heisenberg spin-exchange interaction between neighboring spins with a positive J value, while ferromagnetic coupling refers to a Heisenberg spin-exchange interaction between neighboring spins with a negative J value. In physical systems, the stability and energy lowering of the system is determined by the sign of J, with antiferromagnetic coupling leading to a bound state and ferromagnetic coupling leading to a less stable state. However, the exact determination of J is often difficult and requires approximations within the many-body picture.
qubits
What is antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic coupling, and what is the difference between the two? I'm referring to coupling between two two-level half-flux quantum systems for example.

Physics news on Phys.org
qubits said:
What is antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic coupling, and what is the difference between the two? I'm referring to coupling between two two-level half-flux quantum systems for example.

I'm assuming what you meant by "half-flux quantum systems" is spin 1/2 systems.

First of all, this is a VERY difficult subject that falls into quantum magnetism. So I'm guessing you're asking this because you're studying either quantum magnetism, or solid state physics. If that is the case, then the "coupling" is the Heisenberg spin-exchange interaction, defined within the Heisenberg spin Hamiltonian as

[tex]H = \sum_{ij}J_{ij}\mathbold{S_i} \cdot \mathbold{S_j}[/tex]

where [tex]J_{ij}[/tex] is the Heisenberg coupling of nearest-neighbor spins. In a "simple" system (pay attention to that word), a ferromagnetic coupling implies that J < 0, whereas antiferromagnetic coupling means that J > 0. The exact determination of what J is for any given system is usually impossible to find exactly. This is where one has to make approximations within the many-body picture.

Zz.

Last edited:
In any physical system we are concerned with energy lowering that leads to stability of the system. So the hamiltonian that is presented above H=sum (ij) J(ij) S(i).S(j) is a simplestic one illustrating the fact.

1.For a antiferromagnetic system neighbouring spins are opposite (+1/2) and (-1/2) so J is +ve that leads to an overall -ve sign>>> means H= -ve ( ... ) this hamiltonian will have -ve eigen energy leading to a bound state.

2.For ferromagnetic spins are (+1/2) (+1/2) so by similar argument J should be -ve...

This hamiltonian is simple but it hides the actual physics. The J cointains Coulomb and spin exchange terms within it...

What is antiferromagnetic coupling?

Antiferromagnetic coupling is a type of magnetic interaction between neighboring atoms or molecules where their magnetic moments are aligned in opposite directions. This results in a net magnetic moment of zero and no external magnetic field is observed.

What is ferromagnetic coupling?

Ferromagnetic coupling is a type of magnetic interaction between neighboring atoms or molecules where their magnetic moments are aligned in the same direction. This results in a net magnetic moment and can be observed with an external magnetic field.

What causes antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic coupling?

Antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic coupling are caused by the exchange interaction between neighboring atoms or molecules. This interaction is a result of the quantum mechanical exchange of electrons and their spin orientations.

What are some applications of antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic coupling?

Antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic coupling are important in various fields such as data storage, spintronics, and magnetic sensors. They are also used in the development of magnetic materials and devices for medical imaging and energy harvesting.

How can antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic coupling be studied?

Antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic coupling can be studied using various experimental techniques such as magnetometry, neutron scattering, and electron microscopy. Theoretical methods such as density functional theory and Monte Carlo simulations can also be used to understand the underlying mechanisms of these magnetic interactions.