Science fiction writer needs help on sci-fi weapon

In summary: if the slug was very large, it could theoretically cause a much more powerful explosion than an H-bomb. However, even then, I would think it would be pretty destructive.
Drakkith, thanks for the input. the multiple round option would make the weapon effective on other ships also.

anybody;what if i made the each successive magnet more powerful than the previous magnet? would that make a recoil mechanism effective with the larger slug? also i would counter thrust so no inertial dampering would be necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
schonovic said:
Drakkith, thanks for the input. the multiple round option would make the weapon effective on other ships also.

anybody;what if i made the each successive magnet more powerful than the previous magnet? would that make a recoil mechanism effective with the larger slug? also i would counter thrust so no inertial dampering would be necessary.

I'm not sure what that would do. I don't think it would make the recoil easier to manage, probably the opposite actually. As long as the recoil isn't too high it can be managed. Another option is to increase the length of the "barrel" of the weapon and increase the time it takes to accelerate the object to your required speed. That would reduce the force delivered to the weapon/ship and make it easier to manage, plus make your counterthrusting more effective.

schonovic said:
...what if i made the each successive magnet more powerful than the previous magnet?
Note that each successive magnet is going to be acting on a round that is moving successively slower, so there's no need for each one to be stronger than the last.

DaveC426913 said:
Note that each successive magnet is going to be acting on a round that is moving successively slower, so there's no need for each one to be stronger than the last.

Why is the round moving slower?

Drakkith said:
Why is the round moving slower?

Sorry. I misunderstood. Never mind.