Carnival ride, Friction and Normal Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a classic carnival ride where riders stand against the wall in a cylindrical room. The floor drops once the room reaches a certain speed, and friction between the walls and the riders keeps them from sliding down. The speed of the rider is calculated using the circumference and revolutions per minute. The normal force is determined using the equation N= mv^2/r, and the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the wall and the person is calculated using the weight and normal force. The engineers want to ensure the normal force does not exceed 1.7 times the person's weight, so they adjust the frequency of revolution accordingly.
Pyrowolf

Homework Statement

In a classic carnival ride, patrons stand against the wall in a cylindrically shaped room. Once the room gets spinning fast enough, the floor drops from the bottom of the room! Friction between the walls of the room and the people on the ride make them the “stick” to the wall so they do not slide down. In one ride, the radius of the cylindrical room is R = 6.3 m and the room spins with a frequency of 23.5 revolutions per minute.
1. Speed of the rider. I used circumfrence * revolutions/ 60 to get 15.5. (Already known to be correct)
2. What is the normal Force?
3. What is the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the wall and the person?
4)If a new person with mass 92 kg rides the ride, what minimum coefficient of friction between the wall and the person would be needed?
6) To be safe, the engineers making the ride want to be sure the normal force does not exceed 1.7 times each persons weight - and therefore adjust the frequency of revolution accordingly. What is the minimum coefficient of friction now needed?

Homework Equations

F=m*a
Fs= (meu)s*N (Static friction)
Fk = (meu)k*N (Kinetic Friction)
Circumfrence = 2*Pi*r
Weight = m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I already did

2. Well Weight is down and friction is up. (It's a circle on the horizontal for a ride). The Normal force points inward of the circle. With no force pointing outward (I think?) So I tried N= mv^2/r which came up wrong. So I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

3. Once I know the N, I can calculate the friction as follows: weight = friction (no movement in the Y axis) so mg = (meu) N -> (meu) = mg/N (this is my thought process anyway)

4. Same as problem 3, just a different mass

6. Change N to be 92*1.7 then solve like 3 and 4.

Also I get no feedback on 4 and 6 so I can't know if I'm right or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pyrowolf said:
2. Well Weight is down and friction is up. (It's a circle on the horizontal for a ride). The Normal force points inward of the circle. With no force pointing outward (I think?) So I tried N= mv^2/r which came up wrong. So I'm not sure what I'm missing here.
N= mv^2/r is correct. Why do you think it's wrong? (Some online system?)

Hmm, I just redid the calculations and for some reason I got a different answer this time. Yes it's an online system. And after redoing the calculations I got the right answer. I must have missed a decimal, or number, or parenthesis. Thanks for the help.

What is a carnival ride?

A carnival ride is a mechanical ride that is commonly found at fairs, amusement parks, and carnivals. It is designed to provide entertainment and thrills for riders, and can range from gentle rides for children to intense thrill rides for adults.

How does friction affect carnival rides?

Friction plays a crucial role in the operation of carnival rides. It is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact, and helps to slow down and control the movements of the ride. Without friction, the ride would not be able to operate properly and could potentially be dangerous.

What are normal forces in relation to carnival rides?

Normal forces are perpendicular forces that act on an object when it is in contact with a surface. In carnival rides, normal forces are important for maintaining the stability and safety of the ride. They help to keep riders in their seats and prevent them from falling out of the ride.

How do engineers design carnival rides to ensure safety?

Engineers use a variety of techniques and calculations to design safe carnival rides. They take into account factors such as the weight and speed of the ride, the forces acting on the ride, and the materials used in its construction. They also conduct rigorous testing and inspections to ensure the ride meets safety standards.

What precautions should riders take when riding carnival rides?

Riders should always follow the safety instructions provided by the ride operator and make sure they are properly secured in their seats. They should also pay attention to any warning signs or height/age restrictions for the ride. If they have any health concerns or are pregnant, it is best to avoid riding carnival rides.