OpAmp LM-324 Melting Due to ESD?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of an OpAmp LM-324 burning and melting, potentially due to ESD or high voltage. It is suggested that adding transorbs or Transil diodes can protect against this issue. The phenomenon of "latchup" or "SCR latchup" is also mentioned as a potential cause.
Ravaner
Hi gents. In a rig several times an OpAmp LM-324 burns and melts (and support too ! ). The circuit works perfectly for many hours and suddently ... I must precise that high voltage ( -6 kV) is not very far. My question : is ESD able not only to destroy OpAmp but also to make it melting ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ESD can render it unable to withstand its normal low voltage supply.

What do you suppose happens when it becomes a dead short circuit across say a 5 volt 3 amp supply?
I don't know what you have, but there's the principle.

Don't know your exact circuit. But it is very common to have low voltage circuits burn around high voltage. We made it a standard practice to put transorbs to protect all the inputs and even the power input. We never have any problem since. We even tested to make sure the LV circuit survive in hv arc.

Ravaner said:
Hi gents. In a rig several times an OpAmp LM-324 burns and melts (and support too ! ). The circuit works perfectly for many hours and suddently ... I must precise that high voltage ( -6 kV) is not very far. My question : is ESD able not only to destroy OpAmp but also to make it melting ?

Just to add to the others' comments. The destructive phenomenon is called "latchup" or "SCR latchup". Here is a wiki article about it, with pointers out to other reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchup

Many thanks for your replies. I effectively used Transil diode on imput but not on power supply. I'll correct this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has someone a photo of a real device where we can see the voltage divider used as entry to regulation loop ?

1. What is an OpAmp LM-324?

An OpAmp LM-324 is a type of operational amplifier that is commonly used in electronic circuits to amplify and process analog signals. It is a quad op-amp, meaning it contains four individual amplifiers in one integrated circuit package.

2. How does ESD cause melting in an OpAmp LM-324?

ESD, or electrostatic discharge, occurs when a high voltage is suddenly discharged onto a component or device. This can cause damage to sensitive electronic components, including the OpAmp LM-324. If the discharge is strong enough, it can cause melting of the internal components of the OpAmp, rendering it unusable.

3. What are the common sources of ESD?

ESD can be generated from a variety of sources, including static electricity from clothing or carpet, improper handling of electronic components, and electrical equipment or machinery.

4. How can I prevent ESD damage to an OpAmp LM-324?

The best way to prevent ESD damage to an OpAmp LM-324 is to handle it carefully and properly ground yourself before touching the component. You can also use anti-static mats and wrist straps when working with electronic components to minimize the risk of ESD.

5. Can an OpAmp LM-324 be repaired if it has melted due to ESD?

Unfortunately, if an OpAmp LM-324 has melted due to ESD, it cannot be repaired and must be replaced. It is important to always handle electronic components with care and take necessary precautions to prevent ESD damage.