Design Dual DC Power Supply: 0-20V, 0-1.5A, User Selectable

In summary, the user is seeking help in designing a dual channel DC power supply with specific specifications, including independent adjustment for positive and negative output voltage, series tracking mode, 0-20V± 5% output voltage amplitude, 0-1.5A± 10% current limit, and powered directly from main supply. They have found a schematic for a similar power supply but need assistance in modifying it to achieve the desired output voltage. Helpful suggestions include using a higher voltage transformer and consulting the datasheet for the regulator.
Julian Wong
Hi,i really need help on how to design a dual channel DC power supply that fulfills the following specifications :

1) Operation - User selection between independent adjustment for positive and negative output voltage, and series tracking mode (slave channel tracks the master channel)

2) Output voltage amplitude : 0-20V± 5%

3) Current limit : 0 - 1.5A± 10%

4) Powered Directly from main supply

5) Indications of power on, constant voltage and constant current mode

I really hope you guys will be able to help me and provide me with a schematic to achieve the above specifications..thanks in advance =)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have found the schematic from this link http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/supply3.asp
but i would like to know how to make the circuit to produce an output voltage of 0-20V instead of just 0-15v?can anyone give me any helpful suggestions?

that schematic should produce from 1.2 to 27 volts.

check datasheet for your regulator.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm117.pdf

EDIT make that "that schematic should produce from 1.2 to about 19 volts.

what limits it to 19V is volts available from transformer.
15 X sqr(2) = 21 volts, less drop across bridge.

use a higher voltage transformer, something like this:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/TX-398/POWER-TRANSFORMER-39.8V/22.5V-2.25A/1.html

and you should do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow..thanks a lot..appreciate it =)

1. How does the user select the voltage and current for the power supply?

The user can select the desired voltage and current by adjusting the knobs on the front panel of the power supply. The voltage can be set from 0-20V and the current can be set from 0-1.5A.

2. Is this power supply suitable for both AC and DC applications?

No, this power supply is designed specifically for DC applications. It cannot be used for AC applications.

3. Can this power supply be used for sensitive electronic devices?

Yes, this power supply has a low ripple and noise output, making it suitable for use with sensitive electronic devices.

4. Does this power supply have overcurrent and overvoltage protection?

Yes, this power supply is equipped with both overcurrent and overvoltage protection to prevent damage to the connected devices.

5. Can the power supply be used in dual mode to supply two different voltages simultaneously?

Yes, this power supply has two independent channels, allowing for the simultaneous output of two different voltages. The user can select the desired voltage for each channel using the front panel knobs.