Can HCL Dissolve in Cooking Oil? | Chemistry Info

In summary, the conversation discusses how the speaker used HCl to clean their hand tools but found that the rust quickly returned. They question if the HCl could have dissolved into the cooking oil they used to try and prevent rust. The expert summarizer concludes that it is more likely that the HCl remained in the pores of the tool, as the rinse may not have been thorough enough and the rust on the tool could have created cracks for the HCl to contaminate. The cooking oil likely only acted as a barrier for water.
Flyingwing12
I recently gave my hand tools a bath in " right from the bottle" strength HCL. I had previously known about the naughty flash rusting that occurs, so to combat the rust, I quickly plunged the tool in water, gave it a quick wipe and then plunged it into extremely hot cooking oil.

The tools stayed clean for about a day and then "POOF", the rust was back.

TO make this simple and sweet. Could the HCL have been dissolved into the cooking oil?

I have a high school background with Chemistry so I am trying to get an alleged knowledgeable opinion.

Thanks a bunch.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's more likely that the HCl found it's way into pores present on the tool. Your rinse didn't completely remove it. Should have rinsed the tool under running water for at least 5 minutes but even that might not work. The rust already present on the tool created cracks and deep pores into the steel which you contaminated with HCl. Cooking oil does almost nothing except keep water off of the tool somewhat.

1. Can HCL dissolve in cooking oil?

Yes, HCL (hydrochloric acid) can dissolve in cooking oil. However, the extent of dissolution and the resulting chemical reaction will depend on the concentration and temperature of the acid and the type and composition of the oil.

2. Is it safe to mix HCL and cooking oil?

No, it is not safe to mix HCL and cooking oil. HCL is a strong acid and can cause severe chemical burns if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. Additionally, mixing HCL with cooking oil can create potentially hazardous fumes.

3. Can HCL dissolve in any type of cooking oil?

Yes, HCL can dissolve in most types of cooking oil, including vegetable, canola, and olive oil. However, the rate and extent of dissolution may vary depending on the specific properties of the oil.

4. What happens when HCL is added to cooking oil?

When HCL is added to cooking oil, a chemical reaction occurs. The acid reacts with the fatty acids in the oil, breaking them down into smaller molecules. This process is known as saponification and is used to make soap.

5. Can HCL dissolved in cooking oil be used for cooking?

No, HCL dissolved in cooking oil should not be used for cooking. The resulting mixture is not safe for consumption and may also affect the taste and texture of the food. It is important to handle HCL and cooking oil separately and with caution.