Rubens Tube - Finding a One Inch Reducer and PTC

• Thread starter 012anonymousx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the high school student was trying to build a Rubens tube and ran into a problem because the one inch copper reducer and PTC he bought were actually 1 and an eight inches using the standard imperial system. He requests help and any work-around solutions are welcome.
012anonymousx
Hello and thanks! I apologize in advance if I picked the wrong place to post this thread.
I'm a high school student building a Rubens tube and have encountered a problem:
I have a one inch outside diameter aluminum tube.
It turns out that the one inch copper reducer and PTC I bought is actually 1 and an eight inches using the standard imperial system. For some reason... the one inch for each metal is different! Ugh!

I request help. Aluminum is used for curtain rods and building light materials. As a result, it does not have PTC adapters and reducers.
Where can I go for fittings that follow the typical imperial system? I've visited home depot and they only have copper fittings and pvc ptc fittings are illegal anyway.

Any work-around solutions are also welcome!

Side note: PTC adapter is a push to connect adapter for connecting plastic tubes into.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try compression or flared tube fittings. "Tubing" has an OD that is equal to the nominal size. Pipe has an OD that differs from the nominal size. Copper pipe (sometimes called copper tube) also has an OD that differs from the nominal size, but it has a different OD than standard pipe.

Also, tubing comes in both metric and imperial sizes, so you need a compression or flared tube fitting that's made for imperial sized tubing. Since this is aluminum at very low pressure, you should find that brass compression fittings are the least expensive and easiest way to go. Have a look in the McMaster Carr catalog or online anywhere for compression fittings. Just make sure you look for "tube" size fittings, not pipe size fittings.

This is probably very late but I hope you get to see it. I had 4 tough exams and a lot of summatives due.
I thank you so very much for this post, and I appreciate all the help. I am in the process of looking at them and will let you know (if you care) how it goes.

What is a Rubens Tube?

A Rubens Tube is a long, hollow tube that is filled with flammable gas, such as propane or methane. It is typically used to demonstrate the relationship between sound waves and pressure.

How does a Rubens Tube work?

When sound waves are played through one end of the Rubens Tube, they create pressure variations within the tube. These pressure variations cause the gas inside the tube to move, resulting in areas of high pressure and low pressure. When the gas reaches a high pressure area, it is compressed and emits a higher frequency sound. When it reaches a low pressure area, it expands and emits a lower frequency sound. This creates a visual representation of the sound waves.

Why is finding a one inch reducer important?

A one inch reducer is important because it helps to regulate the flow of gas within the Rubens Tube. It acts as a valve, allowing for a consistent and controlled flow of gas to create a steady flame pattern. Without a one inch reducer, the gas flow may be too high or too low, resulting in an inconsistent or weak flame.

What is a PTC and how is it related to the Rubens Tube?

PTC stands for "positive temperature coefficient." It is a type of resistor that has a higher resistance at lower temperatures and a lower resistance at higher temperatures. In the case of a Rubens Tube, a PTC is used to regulate the gas flow by acting as a temperature sensor. As the gas heats up, the PTC's resistance decreases, allowing for more gas to flow through the tube. This helps to maintain a steady flame pattern and prevents the gas from overheating and potentially causing an explosion.

Is it safe to use a Rubens Tube?

As with any scientific experiment involving flammable materials, safety precautions must be taken when using a Rubens Tube. It is important to use the proper materials and equipment, such as a PTC and a one inch reducer, to regulate the gas flow and prevent potential hazards. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher on hand and to never leave the Rubens Tube unattended. With proper precautions, a Rubens Tube can be safely used for educational and demonstration purposes.