Formula required from set of data

In summary, the formula for quoting radial pressing increments for steel on a press brake machine is y = 0.0285*x + 11.6.
Mytheral
Hi Guys,
Im doing my work placement at a steel processing facility and have been asked to derive a formula for quoting purposes that relates to radial bending on a press brake machine,

The formula is needed to show the radial pressing increments on steel and the data they have given me is as follows

At 150mm radius the distance between presses is 10mm
at 200mm radius it is 20mm
at 400mm radius it is 25mm
at 600mm radius it is 30mm
at 900mm radius it is 40mm
at 1500mm radius it is 50mm
at 2000mm radius it is 70mm

the formula does not need to be exact, it just needs to be a guideline for an entry level quoter.

any help would be greatly appriciated.

Katie

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot it and look at what the graph looks like.

BTW, are you allowed to seek help with this?

Zz.

Yes my manager advised me to post it on this forum. i have graphed it but am just having a mental block at the moment, must be due to the approaching weekend

i was originaly going to use a graph incorperated into excel for the quoters but my boss wants a formula :(

Katie

Hi Guys,
I am doing my work placement at a steel processing facility and have been asked to derive a formula for quoting purposes that relates to radial bending on a press brake machine,

The formula is needed to show the radial pressing increments on steel and the data they have given me is as follows

At 150mm radius the distance between presses is 10mm
at 200mm radius it is 20mm
at 400mm radius it is 25mm
at 600mm radius it is 30mm
at 900mm radius it is 40mm
at 1500mm radius it is 50mm
at 2000mm radius it is 70mm

the formula does not need to be exact, it just needs to be a guideline for an entry level quoter.

any help would be greatly appriciated.

Katie

Excel's "trendline" option allows you to fit various kinds of curves to the data (linear, polynomial, exponential) and display the equation. Play around with the different kinds of curves and see which one gives the best-looking result.

i can plot the info in excel but cannot find how to derive a formula. any help is greatly appriciated

y = (1.57e-8)(x^3) - (5.094e-5)(x^2) + (0.0724)(x) + 3.35, for 150 ≤ x ≤ 2000 mm, where x = bend radius (mm), and y = distance between presses (mm).

Last edited:
thankyou so much, your help is greatly appriciated

Mytheral: Here is another approach, a linear approximation, in case you prefer it more than the cubic polynomial function in post 7.

y = 0.0285*x + 11.6, where x = bend radius (mm), and y = distance between presses (mm).

1. What is the formula for finding the mean from a set of data?

The formula for finding the mean (also known as the average) from a set of data is to add up all the numbers in the data set and then divide the sum by the total number of data points.

2. How do you calculate the median from a set of data?

The median is the middle value in a set of data. To find the median, you must first arrange the data in numerical order. If the number of data points is odd, the middle value is the median. If the number of data points is even, the median is the average of the two middle values.

3. What is the formula for finding the mode from a set of data?

The mode is the most frequent value in a set of data. To find the mode, you can create a frequency table to count the number of times each value appears in the data set. The value with the highest frequency is the mode.

4. How do you calculate the range from a set of data?

The range is the difference between the largest and smallest values in a data set. To find the range, simply subtract the smallest value from the largest value.

5. What is the formula for finding the standard deviation from a set of data?

The standard deviation measures the amount of variation or spread in a data set. The formula for finding the standard deviation is a bit more complex, but can be calculated using the following steps: 1) Find the mean of the data set, 2) Subtract the mean from each data point, 3) Square each of these differences, 4) Find the mean of these squared differences, 5) Take the square root of the result. This will give you the standard deviation.

Back