Locus of points with distance sum =8

Notice that the sum of the distances from (0,-2) and (0,2) to any point (x,y) on the ellipse is always 8. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the locus of points such that the sum of their distances from points A(0,-2) and B(0,2) is equal to 8. The method involves finding separate equations for the distance from A and the distance from B, and then adding them together and setting the sum equal to 8. This results in a simplified equation that defines the locus of points on the ellipse.
aisha
Locus of points such that the sum of whose distances from A(0,-2) and B(0,2) is 8

I plotted the points its a straight line on the y axis. I sub both points into the distance formula (seperate distance formulas) and then made the eqn = 8 I squared both sides getting rid of the square root and then simplified and got
[tex] 2x^2 +2y^2+8=64 [/tex] I think I did this question wrong please help me :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
their talking about the sum of the distances from A and B. So you need to come up with an equation for the the distance from A and the distance from B seperatly, and then add them...

that sum should equal 8

to see the motivation behind this problem look up the definition of an ellpise, they even give a method to solve this problem here.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Ellipse.html

Last edited:
Here they are separately

Point A = square root[(x^2)+(y+2)^2]

Point B= square root [(x^2)+(y-2)^2]

I did make two different equations but when you say for the distance from A and from B I don't get FROM WHAT?

I added the above two equations and set it =8 and then solved but I think I did something wrong.

shouldnt I be finding an equation for the locus why am I verifying that point A's distance + point B's =8?

aisha said:
I did make two different equations but when you say for the distance from A and from B I don't get FROM WHAT?

The distance from A and from B TO any point that satisfies the conditions you were given! i.e. any point (call it C, for example) in the plane such that if you add how far C is from A, to how far C is from B, you get 8. Stated another way: the sum of the distances to point C from point A and from point B is 8. There is more than one such point 'C'...indeed they trace out a curve, and this set of points on the curve that satisfies that condition is called the locus.

Edit: the animation on that link MathStudent gave you illustrates it very well.

Yes I see what you mean the animation is good as well but it is hard to find the equation for the locus did you see how many steps their are? Isnt there an easier way?

Sure. They just simplified the equation to a nice form. The equation

[tex]\sqrt{x^2 + (y+2)^2} + \sqrt{x^2 + (y-2)^2} = 8[/tex]

defines the locus just as well as the standard ellipse equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Locus of points with distance sum =8"?

The locus of points with distance sum =8 refers to all the points in a 2-dimensional plane that are exactly 8 units away from two fixed points, also known as foci. It forms a shape called an ellipse.

2. How is the locus of points with distance sum =8 different from other loci?

The locus of points with distance sum =8 is distinct from other loci because it is specifically defined by the condition that the sum of the distances from any point on the locus to two fixed points is always 8 units. Other loci may have different conditions or equations that define them.

3. How do you graph the locus of points with distance sum =8?

To graph the locus of points with distance sum =8, you can plot the two fixed points (foci) on a coordinate plane and then use a compass to draw points that are exactly 8 units away from both foci. Connecting these points will form an ellipse, which is the desired locus.

4. What is the significance of the locus of points with distance sum =8?

The locus of points with distance sum =8 has various applications in mathematics and physics. For example, it is used in the study of conic sections and is related to Kepler's laws of planetary motion. It can also be used to model the orbits of celestial bodies or the paths of objects under the influence of two gravitational forces.

5. Can the locus of points with distance sum =8 have different values for the distance sum?

Yes, the distance sum on the locus of points can be any value, not just 8. For example, if the distance sum is 10, then the resulting shape would be a larger ellipse. The distance sum can also be a negative value, in which case the locus would form a hyperbola instead of an ellipse.