Is momentum conserved?

by azizlwl
Tags: conserved, momentum
azizlwl
Mar23-12, 04:28 PM
P: 961
In a ballistic pendulum test, the mv is added to the system and that total remains constant over time. This what conservation of Momentum states. But at the end of the swing velocity is zero. Thus no momentum. What is conserved here?

As in energy total energy always remains the same. In momentum its nor true even in ordinary motion with resistance, the velocity decreases thus momentum.
To me it is just a Law of Union/Separation. After Union/Separation its not use/applicable.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Khashishi
Mar23-12, 04:35 PM
P: 833
The momentum is transferred into the stand and then into the earth.
savu
Mar23-12, 05:37 PM
P: 2
Thank you aziz and khashishi ,I agree with both of your answers with what everyone may know that momentum is conserved.With a rule that states that "momentum before is equal to momentum after".
If anyone is inquiring about energy then the rules that YES energy is also conserved but in a different form.

savu
Mar23-12, 05:39 PM
P: 2

Is momentum conserved?

YES it is.The rules states that momentum before is equal to momentum after.√
azizlwl
Mar23-12, 07:29 PM
Thank you. I mean here i see the Conservation of Momentum only applies to union and separation of items. In other instances other laws apply. When a body moves, it follows the Newton's first Law. When a body moves and changes direction or/and magnitude, Newton 2nd law is used and sometimes we use KE and PE, conservation of energy.

Thus COM only applies only JUST before the union/separation and JUST after that.
Conservation law should be at any instances/places.
HallsofIvy
Mar23-12, 10:39 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,894
Conservation of momentum holds only as long as there is no "exernal" force. The force of gravity is an external force.
Rap
Mar24-12, 02:42 AM
P: 789
Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
The momentum is transferred into the stand and then into the earth.
Yes. As the pendulum rocks back and forth, the Earth rocks back and forth in the opposite direction. Momentum is always conserved, at all times.
azizlwl
Mar24-12, 07:08 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Conservation of momentum holds only as long as there is no "exernal" force. The force of gravity is an external force.
Thank you
I agree that with no external force, means there's no change in momentum. Total sum of momentum remains constant.
I still cannot figure out why we need conservation of momentum in solving eg. ballistic pendulum.
Initial mv=final mv then we get velocity. Then KE to PE.
Why not just KE incoming bullet to PE without resorting to COM if we assume no energy expended in the process(I've been making this error frequently). Conservation of energy is intuitively easy for accept.
Rap
Mar24-12, 07:21 AM
P: 789
Quote Quote by azizlwl View Post
Thank you
I agree that with no external force, means there's no change in momentum. Total sum of momentum remains constant.
I still cannot figure out why we need conservation of momentum in solving eg. ballistic pendulum.
Initial mv=final mv then we get velocity. Then KE to PE.
Why not just KE incoming bullet to PE without resorting to COM if we assume no energy expended in the process(I've been making this error frequently). Conservation of energy is intuitively easy for accept.
But a lot of energy is expended in the process. When the bullet collides with the pendulum, it sticks to the pendulum, and that's an inelastic collision. Kinetic energy is not conserved. Most of the kinetic energy of the bullet is turned into heat and a little of it is turned into sound.
azizlwl
Mar24-12, 05:54 PM
ok now i understand why we have to resort to COM.

In a collision,

[itex]mv_{in}=mv_{out}[/itex] where no external forces involve.

[itex]KE_{in}\geq KE_{out}[/itex]

So applying COM is the most ideal transformation for a collision.

Register to reply