Definition of a unique function

by jonsploder
Tags: definition, function, unique
jonsploder
Jan27-14, 04:12 AM
P: 2
Hi all, I'm wondering whether an expression which is used to describe a function in a certain domain is a different function for the same expression with a differing domain.

For example: expression; x^2.
f(x) = x^2 for domain {1 < x < 10}
f(x) = x^2 for domain {10 < x < 11}

Are these two f(x)'s the same function, or different functions, by definition. I couldn't be sure by Wikipedia, and it's a difficult question to type into a search engine.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
tiny-tim
Jan27-14, 05:23 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi jonsploder! welcome to pf!
Quote Quote by jonsploder View Post
… Are these two f(x)'s the same function, or different functions …
they're different

they're both restrictions of the same function defined on the whole of R
jonsploder
Jan27-14, 05:33 AM
P: 2
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.
I know that they are different, however I was wondering, by the most formal definition of a function, whether they are different functions, or if indeed the domain of a function constitutes its identity as a function.

tiny-tim
Jan27-14, 05:42 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167

Definition of a unique function

I know that they are different, however I was wondering, by the most formal definition of a function, whether they are different functions, or if indeed the domain of a function constitutes its identity as a function.
they're functions, and they're different

so they're different functions

the definition of a function includes its range and domain: different range and/or domain, different functions
pasmith
Jan27-14, 06:31 AM
HW Helper
P: 775
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.
The domain and codomain are part of the definition of a function.

Two functions [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]A = C[/itex] and [itex]B = D[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a)[/itex].
economicsnerd
Jan27-14, 06:02 PM
P: 210
Quote Quote by pasmith View Post
Two functions [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]A = C[/itex] and [itex]B = D[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a)[/itex].
This definition is exactly correct. That should be your definition.

It's worth noting, however, that sometimes people get lazy about codomains and say [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal when [itex]A = C[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a) \in B\cap D[/itex].
pwsnafu
Jan27-14, 06:33 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 779
Quote Quote by economicsnerd View Post
It's worth noting, however, that sometimes people get lazy about codomains and say [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g : C \to D[/itex] are equal when [itex]A = C[/itex] and for all [itex]a \in A[/itex], [itex]f(a) = g(a) \in B\cap D[/itex].
To explain why this definition is bad, consider
##f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}##, ##f(x) = 0##
##g : \mathbb{R} \to \{0\}##, ##g(x) = 0##.
Note that under the definition economicnerd gave these would be considered equal. However, g is a surjection while f is not.

Register to reply