Fluids problem - gauge pressure

In summary: Thank you so much for your help, this was really confusing for me. In summary, the discharge rate in cubic meters per second is 0.200 and the gauge pressure is 168380 Pa.
CurtisB

Homework Statement

yf_Figure_14_41.jpg

Water flows steadily from an open tank. The elevation of point 1 is 10.0 m, and the elevation of points 2 and 3 is 2.00 m. The cross-sectional area at point 2 is 0.0480 m[tex]^2[/tex]; at point 3 it is 0.0160 m[tex]^2[/tex]. The area of the tank is very large compared with the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

Part 1- Assuming that Bernoulli's equation applies, compute the discharge rate in cubic meters per second.

Part 2- What is the gauge pressure at point 2

Homework Equations

[tex]A_1v_1=A_2v_2[/tex]
[tex]p_1+\rho gh_1+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2=p_2+\rho gh_2+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already calculated the discharge rate (at point 3) to be 0.200 m[tex]^3[/tex]/s which I know to be correct but I am stuck with the second part. I used Bernoulli's equation with points 2 and 3 and came up with an answer of 17.8 Pa but this appears to be wrong. I took [tex]h_2=h_3=0[/tex] to simplify Bernoulli's equation to get
[tex]p_3-p_2=\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2-\frac{1}{2}\rho v_3^2[/tex]
and used the volume flow rate equation to get the velocity at point 2 to be 0.067m/s and then used that in Bernoulli's equation to get the answer I have, am I doing something wrong here or should I even be using Bernoulli's equation to solve this part of the question. [tex]p_3-p_2[/tex] should be equal to the gauge pressure shouldn't it? Any guidance whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
CurtisB said:
...and used the volume flow rate equation to get the velocity at point 2 to be 0.067m/s ...
Revisit this calculation.

Oh, thank you, I accidentally put in the volume flow rate in as v instead of the velocity of the fluid, I have the correct answer now, Thanks.

Doc Al said:
Revisit this calculation.
I still don't understand... If v_2 = 4.17 and v_3 = 12.5, then what is this p_3 that I need in order to solve for p_2?? (I also know that rho=density of water=1000 kg/(m^3))

Note that point 3 is in an open stream.

Then p_3 is atmospheric pressure .. is it 101.3 kPa? so then p_2 = -(.5(1000(4.7^2-12.5^2)))-101300) = 168380 Pa?

The question asked for gauge pressure, which is the pressure at 2 minus atmospheric pressure given by p_2-p_3 in the top equation, which is 6.97*10^4. So yeah, the absolute pressure at 2 would be the gauge pressure plus atmospheric which is pretty much what you got.

OHHHH i finally get it!

Last edited:

1. What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the total pressure and the atmospheric pressure.

2. How is gauge pressure different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure only takes into account the pressure above atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure includes the atmospheric pressure in its measurement.

3. Can you explain the concept of fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area that is exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is a result of the random motion and collisions of particles in the fluid.

4. How does the depth of a fluid affect gauge pressure?

The deeper the fluid, the greater the gauge pressure. This is because the weight of the fluid above exerts more force on the particles at the bottom, increasing the pressure.

5. How is gauge pressure measured?

Gauge pressure is typically measured using a pressure gauge or manometer. These devices use a column of liquid to measure the pressure, with the height of the column corresponding to the gauge pressure.