What the heck is meant by Pauli force/effect ?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pauli
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Pauli force and its relationship with the Pauli exclusion principle. The speakers question whether there is an actual force associated with the principle or if it is just a mathematical interpretation. They mention the Hartree-Fock approximation and the exchange energy as possible explanations for the force. The conversation also references previous discussions on the topic and suggests further reading for a better understanding.
nonequilibrium
What the heck is meant by "Pauli force/effect"?

I'm a last year physics undergrad and whenever I have a physics class given by an experimental physicist (e.g. solid state physics), they sometimes say things like "... and because of the Pauli force these two electrons are repelled ..." and whenever I enquire about what is meant, I get an answer like "it's due to the Pauli exclusion principle".

But the latter only states that two fermions cannot be in exactly the same state; it says nothing about a repulsive force that acts on two fermions close to each other. In essence the Pauli exclusion principle does nothing to prevent two fermions in being arbitrarily similar states, as long as the states are not exactly the same.

So what is the deal: is there an actual Pauli force additional to the Pauli exclusion principle (NB: let's not get into a semantic discussion about the word "force", call it what you will, I'm simply referring to the so-called repulsive effect of two fermions close to each other)? Or are my experimental physicis professors botching the concept of Pauli exclusion principle, making their arguments using it fallacious (i.e. there is only the Pauli exclusion principle, no repulsive effect)?

Physics news on Phys.org

mr. vodka said:
I'm a last year physics undergrad and whenever I have a physics class given by an experimental physicist (e.g. solid state physics), they sometimes say things like "... and because of the Pauli force these two electrons are repelled ..." and whenever I enquire about what is meant, I get an answer like "it's due to the Pauli exclusion principle".

But the latter only states that two fermions cannot be in exactly the same state; it says nothing about a repulsive force that acts on two fermions close to each other. In essence the Pauli exclusion principle does nothing to prevent two fermions in being arbitrarily similar states, as long as the states are not exactly the same.

So what is the deal: is there an actual Pauli force additional to the Pauli exclusion principle (NB: let's not get into a semantic discussion about the word "force", call it what you will, I'm simply referring to the so-called repulsive effect of two fermions close to each other)? Or are my experimental physicis professors botching the concept of Pauli exclusion principle, making their arguments using it fallacious (i.e. there is only the Pauli exclusion principle, no repulsive effect)?

You're perfectly right, your professor used the Pauli exclusion principle in a wrong way.
I think it's common in solid state physics to do the same error, I've read the same thing in the Ashcroft and Mermin book to justify the Lennard-Jones potential repulsive term.

Pauli principle states that the state of a system of fermions is anti-symmetric in the excange of two fermions.
It can be interpret with a effective force when, for example, you use the Hartree-Fock approximation. In doing this you find that the anti-symmetry of the wave function acts as an additiona term in the Hamiltonian, the "excange energy". This energy is though not necessarily positive, for example in the "jellium" model you find its effect is actractive. The specific form of this energy depends on both the interaction and the wavefunction you're using as an approximation.

In conclusion it's right to think about the Pauli principle as an effective energy in some approximation, but you can't know a priori if it's an actractive or a repulsive contribution.

Ilm

Last edited:

I see, interesting... Do you know of a source that addresses this issue, i.e. that mentions the common fallacious reformulations and in what ways it is correct (apparently related to the Hartree-Fock approximation)?

mr. vodka said:
I see, interesting... Do you know of a source that addresses this issue, i.e. that mentions the common fallacious reformulations and in what ways it is correct (apparently related to the Hartree-Fock approximation)?
I don't know where to find a general treatment of this issue.

You can simply try to find something on the excange energy and then constate it can be both positive or negative, maybe checking this explicitly in different examples.

For a simple treatment of Hartree-Fock approximation you can read almost every solid state physics book (check it on physics forum), even Ashcroft, Mermin, Solid State Physics (I personally hated this book :mad:).
You can certainly find some example here where anti-symmetry of the state produce a positive term in the energy of the system.
Only believe in what is demonstrated though :smile:

For a rigorous treatment (but not so easy) of Hartree-Fock approximation look for books on many-body quantum physics like Fetter, Walecka, Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems.
Here you can find even the very simple example of the jellium model (not using Hartree-Fock if I remember it right), where anti-symmetry of the state produce a negative term in the mean energy of the system.

edit: to avoid misunderstanding, to my knowledge treating anti-symmetry of fermions states as an effective potential is not strictly related to Hartree-Fock, which is only one of the possible approximations resulting in such a term in the Hamiltonian.

Ilm

Last edited:

This question has in fact been asked a couple of times before on PF, for example by myself a year or two ago, see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=409034

The discussion gets a bit off-topic after a while, but you should at least read through the first pages.

It is clear from that discussion what the standard explanation for this issue is, but I'm not so sure that it explains it fully for me (yet, maybe it's only a matter of thinking it through/working through math).

1. What is the Pauli force/effect?

The Pauli force/effect is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the repulsion between two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) due to the exclusion principle. It is named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli who first proposed it.

2. How does the Pauli force/effect work?

The Pauli force/effect arises from the exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This leads to a repulsive force between two fermions that try to occupy the same space, preventing them from overlapping and violating the exclusion principle.

3. What are some examples of the Pauli force/effect in action?

One example of the Pauli force/effect is the stability of matter. Without the repulsive force between electrons in an atom, all the electrons would collapse into the lowest energy state and matter would not exist in its current form. Another example is in neutron stars, where the Pauli exclusion principle prevents neutrons from collapsing into each other, creating a strong outward pressure that supports the star's structure.

4. How is the Pauli force/effect related to the strong nuclear force?

The Pauli force/effect is not directly related to the strong nuclear force, but it can be seen as a manifestation of the same underlying principle: the exclusion principle. While the Pauli force/effect describes the repulsion between identical particles, the strong nuclear force describes the attraction between different types of particles (quarks) that make up protons and neutrons.

5. Is the Pauli force/effect a real force or just a theoretical concept?

The Pauli force/effect is a real force that has been observed and studied in various experiments. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has important implications in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels. However, it is not a classical force like gravity or electromagnetism and can only be fully understood within the framework of quantum mechanics.