Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

Hey guys, I have been trying to get answers about Mechanical Engineering through this thread, but it has been difficult to find anything. So I decided to post.
I am contemplating about going to graduate school for ME (I looked it up; there are programs I can get into to pursue a Master in Eng without having a bachelors), so that I can get into product designing and/or sustainability. I have a BS in Biochemistry (not interested in bioengineering or medical devices) I am not entirely sure what exactly I want to do yet, but I don't believe I can be sure until I try it out. The reason I chose ME is because I believe that it is flexible and will provide me a solid foundation to pursue my interests.

However recently, I have been realizing and ME has a lot of physics involved, and I do not necessarily enjoy that aspect too much. I love calculus and math, and I am good at it, but it is the physics I worry about. I am wondering if the ME professional work will be like this...calculating static and fluid problems all day long or analyzing the stress and strain of objects, because that might not necessarily interest me. I wanted to do ME because I thought the work might be less tedious, have some variation and design components.

Can someone provide me with more feedback on ME and what they actually do in industry (I know the duties vary a lot, which is why I am very confused!). Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, can I just thank everyone who has contributed to this thread! I think it's very helpful to all aspiring engineers.

Having said that, I am still very confused and would love absolutely any guidance that can be provided. It's kind of long, but please read if you can help me out!

I am currently a freshman in college on the premed track. I am in no way being "weeded out" as I am in excelling in my classes. However, I am beginning to question whether medicine is right for me.

I am most interested in biology and chemistry, but I also like learning math and physics. I have learned up to calculus 2 and made A's in all my math courses. I am concerned that with a career in medicine, I will be unable to integrate math and physics into my career. I was thinking changing my major to chemical engineering with a concentration in biomolecular engineering.

I am most concerned with the following:
1.) that engineering is the "other extreme" in the sense that I will be ONLY doing math and physics all the time and will have to sacrifice my love for biology and chemistry. I've heard that chemical engineering really isn't that much chemistry but a whole lot of physics. Would the biomolecular concentration ensure I would still be exposed to lots of science?
2.) I've never been a "tinkerer" or had any natural inclination towards design. I sometimes wonder about how things work and I absolutely LOVED my physics class, though it was only an introductory course in high school and very very basic. Will the fact that I am not "design oriented" hold me back? So many people on this thread talk about building robots, playing with legos, taking apart an engine, and I never did any of those things!
3.) I am very social, outgoing, a people person, etc. etc. I was hoping the teamwork side of engineering would provide me with people interaction, but I've also heard the job is very much sit in an office all day.

That being said, I love problem solving, math and science! I'm just not sure engineering is right for me or if I should stick to medicine and just come to terms with the fact that I may have to let math and physics go!

Thanks for any help! It is greatly appreciated.

jjng said:
Can someone provide me with more feedback on ME and what they actually do in industry (I know the duties vary a lot, which is why I am very confused!). Thanks for your help!

Let me tell you a story which might help. I interviewed the principal of a pushchair manufacturer. He said that half of his design team came from a mechanical engineering background, and the other half from art school. Every Monday morning they have a meeting to review progress and explore ideas as a team. He said that the contributions from the team were about equal from the two groups. What does this tell you?

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
I'm sure this has been brought up in the past 57 pages, but could someone post a breakdown of all the various engineering disciplines? I am leaning towards a dual major in physics and mechanical engineering. I've always loved astronomy, and was initially planning for an astrophysics degree, but I also have a strong interest in engineering and was thinking of combining that with a vanilla physics degree. I think I would also be happy using these disciplines in the green sector for example - designing the next-generation wind-turbines and solar panels, or researching new energy production methods. Not sure what to do...

http://www.engc.org.uk/about-us/our-partners/professional-engineering-institutions

lists 36 licensed engineering institutions in the uk, That gives a good idea of the spread of interest in engineering. I dare say similar list can easily be found in other countries

This thread has been enlightening. I was torn between mechanical engineering and physics, but after reading what engineering is all about I do believe that's my calling.
Thanks.

So that would answer my question that they have a designing aspect to their job, which is a big part of why I want to do it. But would it involve a lot of physics? It isn't my strong suite, and I do not find that I enjoy studying the theoretical aspects too much. However, I am realizing more that academic work doesn't really reflect too much, the kind of work you do in industry, but I am not entirely sure of it. I'm just sick of the theoretical ideas of physics and thought that mechanical engineering might be more hands-on, even if I might be doing some calculations and analysis. any thoughts on that?

Hi all,
I work in banking and make well over 120-130k to be exact. I have lots of perks such business class travel etc but I hate my job and abhor my life. I went into banking because of the $$ but let me tell that I regret it. I always liked engineering and took one or two calc courses and had no problem at all.
I would like to change all that and go back to school for a second BSc. I'm 30 yrs old, do you think this woul'd be possible?

It's definitely possible, but how do you know you will like engineering? Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out that there are other jobs you could probably go into that you would enjoy, without having to go back to school for an engineering degree. Why are you sure engineering is the right path for you? Have you taken engineering classes, worked for an engineering company, have friends that are engineers, etc?

HerrBlau said:
Hi all,
I work in banking and make well over 120-130k to be exact. I have lots of perks such business class travel etc but I hate my job and abhor my life. I went into banking because of the $$ but let me tell that I regret it. I always liked engineering and took one or two calc courses and had no problem at all.
I would like to change all that and go back to school for a second BSc. I'm 30 yrs old, do you think this woul'd be possible?

It's a pretty big commitment but if you really think you'd like it and if you have the money I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Maybe you should read up on some of the stuff engineers study and ask any engineers you might know about their work. My brother who did engineering physics said though that he found school a lot more enjoyable/interesting than working as an engineer so that might also be something to consider. It would also be kind of weird being in classes with people that are ten years younger than you, but I actually know quite a lot of people that have gone back to do a second undergrad degree in engineering after realizing their first one was useless so maybe they'll be some other people your age.

Can someobe please tell me what an electrical engineer will be qualified to do versus what mechanical engineers can do.

I know that what you do in life is determined by your employer, but i want to know some fundamental differences between the 2 disciplines

WinnieDaPooh said:
Can someobe please tell me what an electrical engineer will be qualified to do versus what mechanical engineers can do.

I know that what you do in life is determined by your employer, but i want to know some fundamental differences between the 2 disciplines

I suppose Wikipedia outlines these two streams quite well. Take a look at it.

Mechanical and Electrical are very different, but at the same time, a lot of core principles and areas from Maths and Physics will apply to it, but in different areas.

Electrical Engineering is a very broad field, and many people who don't know much about science an engineering will assume, electrical engineers either spend their entire time building circuits or wiring things, which is completely untrue! Especially in regards to wiring, I don't think I will ever learn how to do much wiring unless I become a technician.

If you're interested in telecommunications, wireless technologies, signal processing (media, filters, etc.), circuitry (obviously) and many more, then electrical is probably your kind of thing. Obvious aspects of Mechanical are hydraulics, aerodynamics, engines (big one), structures, and much more, but since I'm not a ME, I don't know as much about it.

Mechatronic is a somewhat hybrid between the two.

Can I perhaps bump my question on the previous page on whether engineering is right for someone who's science/math based but not necessarily design based? I expanded more on my original post.
Thanks everyone!

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a double degree in both electrical and mechanical engineering. I really like both discuples and my college allows it.

But i don't know if the workload would be too much, or if it will take me more than 4 years to complete

Alright, my turn!
I grew up wanting a doctorate in physics and I still do. I don't know how to go about any of this at all. I don't even know what engineering field I'd like to go into or what schools to choose from. I'm really tight on money for school, and living away from home just wasn't an option at the moment. That being said, I'm currently doing A&P Mechanics & Avionics, living with family. I have tons of fun in the classes and it is all really interesting. I just feel like I have more potential.
Definitely not all smart and brainy, but I learn fast. I don't know what to expect from the schooling I will be getting from these degrees in aviation but I know that the field is growing fast. I'm just worried I won't be happy because it won't be enough of a challenge after a while and honestly, I don't want to be wasting my time and money on something I'll be unsatisfied with.

Input please! :(

WinnieDaPooh said:
Do you think it would be a good idea to get a double degree in both electrical and mechanical engineering. I really like both discuples and my college allows it.

But i don't know if the workload would be too much, or if it will take me more than 4 years to complete

It's the first time I've heard of a double-degree in mechanical and electrical. This might be some form of mechatronic engineering, do you have a course link for this?

As to whether it would be a good idea, only you can answer that. The workload for most engineering degrees is going to full. Being good at maths and science is a great starting point in school, but don't expect that to carry you all the way through, a lot of work goes in, but more often than not, it can be quite fun.

First off this is a great forum, can't believe the amount of passion and help you guys are putting out there its awesome. I already started a thread needing advice but this thread seems to have more followers so maybe I can get some different views. Basically I am 20 years old, have 42 credits in general classes that won't get me anywhere with engineering. I am a private pilot, working for southwest airlines. Completely love aviation, my plan is to get my degree and fight my *** off for a OCS commission and fly military. I'm in a tough situation though as for the last year and a half I cruised by and didn't do too well in school, I am not dumb, just didnt really care or know what I wanted to do so I didn't put any effort forth. Well I had a revelation. I have always been hands on and absolutely love every aspect of engineering, physics, etc. My concern is I'm too old at 20 because I will basically be starting from scratch to pursue engineering. My other concern like most others is math, like I said I'm not an idiot I just never put effort forth to learn. I'm sure if I really made school a full time job I would excel no problem but I haven't given myself the chance. I also love my job, I fly for free and make great money but I don't think its possible to work full time and pursue engineering (at least if I want to get done in 4 years) I'm thinking about getting all pre req math/physics done at the CC while still working and saving money and then transferring to UF, FIT, maybe even embry riddle not sure yet, would it be in my best interest to do that and then move to a university and just focus 100% on school and being the very best I can be? After all working for an airline really won't matter once I graduate and I can puruse the military and my true passion. Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading.

A question i would like to ask on this is.. What is a typical day like for a student pursuing a engineering major?

13smingey said:
A question i would like to ask on this is.. What is a typical day like for a student pursuing a engineering major?

Maths, a lot of it. Lots of problem solving, group-work at times, a lot of new information coming in from different angles.

Hey guys! I'm almost certain that I want to become an engineer, but the problem is I don't know what kind I should be. I originally wanted to be an electrical engineer - the idea of organizing circuits and using switches really excited me. I just finished the electricity unit in my Physics honors class, and although I got practically a 100% in everything, I didn't really like it that much. The first day we started the unit I was really excited, but as days passed by I was becoming less and less fascinated by electricity; maybe it was the way my teacher taught it, but I didn't get nearly the kick out of it that I was expecting to.

We just had an egg drop project recently and it was soooo much fun designing and testing the container that had to protect my egg. I really felt accomplished when I finished working on it, knowing that I had made it as efficient as possible. The day we dropped it, I did the best out of anyone in my class.

I'm about to finish my junior year, so I have to start deciding what I want to study in college. I definitely want to study engineering, but I don't know which branch I would like the most.

• I like and do well in Math - especially geometry. Any time I see a problem involving shapes, lengths, and angles I get really excited.
  • My favorite subject, out of anything I've done in high school, is Physics.
  • I didn't really like Biology or Chemistry, but I probably would've like Chemistry more if my teacher wasn't so bad.
  • I haven't really thought about it before, but I've always been making stuff around my room - things that organize or make actions more convenient for me. Like... under my desk I used a small metal cylinder and duct tape (<3 duct tape) to make a toilet paper holder (lol for cleaning up messes, not... nvm). When I had a bunk bed, I made a kind of ramp (made out of wire hangers) that led to my light switch. Whenever I wanted to turn the light off without climbing down, I would put a ball on it and it would roll down the side of my wall to the other side, and land in this thing that would rotate the light switch. I've made other things, mostly to organize things that I use. Lol idk, it takes a lot of time to make it and it helps only a little, but I mainly do it because it's so much fun...
  • I LOVED legos as a kid (I wish I still had them)
  • My dad brought me some popsicle sticks (lol I've never had these) and I get soooo excited just looking at them. All the possibilities! Lol, I picture in my head how I'm going to make a catapult, trebuchet, crossbow, bridge, pencil holder, lol anything!
  • I like organizing things (i think I already said that)... my room might be a mess sometimes, but I get excited when I think about organizing the things on my desktop, for example, or maybe the wires behind my computer. I like to position stuff so I can use it as efficiently as possible, i guess

If you read this, can you give me a branch of engineering that you think I would like? THANKS

Despite the existence of more than 20 distinct engineering institutions, real life is not so compartmented. The problems an engineer is required to solve are frequently inter-disciplinary. You would easily find a niche in branches such as mechanical, military, production, vehicle design, aeronautical, naval architecture. In any of these, you would have to study some electrical engineering. I doubt that whatever you start in you will finish there. Your attributes sound valuable to a wide range of activities.

Hey everybody, wondering if I could get some advice. I'm an apprentice electrician nearly in my third year and have been thinking for the past year that this isn't the job for me. Its more practical rather than theory and its the theory I've always enjoyed more. My original idea was to go to uni to do electrical engineering but I was lucky enough (at the time) to get a letter for an apprenticeship and I got it. Now nearly 2 years down the line I wish I stayed in school! Basically I prefer to do maths formulas and love physics. But I didn't really think about this till after I was out the environment of school and occasionally went back into maths/physics for my apprentice course. Is what I'm looking for actually to be an electrical engineer or is this just like what I'm doing now? Because I've never seen myself to be a really practical person. I wouldn't say I'm an expert in either maths or physics but formulas etc stick in my mind and I pick it up easy. I happily sit in a maths class where other people hate it and I can't understand why?

If anyone can share there thoughts of my situation it would be great and to roughly say what an electrical engineer does day to day would also be greatly appreciated! Also I might sense that some of you might say complete the apprentinceship then do uni but my job is really getting me down so its not what I want to do. Thanks in advance!

p.s this was typed on a phone so it might be abit rough lol

Hello everybody, I'm looking for some advice! I'm currently a junior in high school, and I've been thinking about a career in physics for some time now, but the problem is that I know nothing about the field in terms of colleges, degrees, careers, etc. While I'm not particularly skilled in the creative/design aspects of engineering, the more theoretical bits like the math, science, calculations, all come very naturally to me, and I really enjoy learning new concepts and solving problems.

I do enjoy building and creating, it's just that I'm not as good at it. I was wondering if that is the sort of thing I would pick up as I studied, or if I would want to pursue a degree in science as opposed to engineering? I'm certainly ready to learn either. As far as what interests me, I really enjoyed collisions, projectiles, basic motion, pretty much everything in my physics class this year, and for as long as I can remember I've had a fascination with space and the universe.

Sorry if this is terribly long or boring, or posted improperly as this is my first post! Hope you all can be of some help

Could anyone reccomend any engineering publications that would be useful to read to get a sense of whether to study engineering is the right academic decision or not?

-Should I become an engineer?
-What engineering discipline should I study?
-Is engineering difficult?

I am not an engineer, but I have been in the HVAC field for 7 years as a system designer, on the dark side as a sales engineer, and now I am putting together a company that is geared for HVAC engineers. I have worked with a lot of engineers and have noticed some things that most engineers either take for granted or overlook. That is a brief description of my perspective.

1st. Question: Should I become an engineer?
-If you love solving problems on how to get something physically accomplished, and are more interested in that than anything else, then engineering is for you. Engineers are puzzle masters and they will pursue any topic in order to add it to their list of tools for solving problems. I have seen idiots be great problem solvers, and I've seen super smart guys think themselves into the ground. Loving the challenge helps engineers really excel.

2nd Question: What engineering discipline should I study?
-Reflecting back on the types of physical problems you are excited by is really what is going to answer this question. Someone who is tickled by the idea of remote controlling a robot on Mars is going to just find themselves moving into that direction. Focus on the types of challenges that you think are fun, and move towards those directions. Your path will develop as you do.

3rd Question: Is engineering difficult?
-There has not been one puzzle master who has not had a difficult time solving some puzzles. The difficulties usually come when the other players in the game get involved. When an HVAC engineer sits down with an architect who wants an all glass house with no duct work, that is when the engineer starts griping, because the engineer is now dealing with some unreasonable factors in their puzzle. It is usually the external factors that make engineering fields frustrating, so don't forget to take a look at them as well.

Just some thoughts.
-chris
aec.us.com

Hello, I'm a senior in high school and will be studying civil engineering next year.

I have always been interested in physics and would love to learn more about it in university. However, the engineering workload seems rather daunting and I'm not sure if I can/want to handle the extra work associated with a physics minor.

My question is should I minor in physics, and will the courses I take be helpful for civil engineering? Thank you!

Hey Guys!

Do you any of you know where a degree in engineering physics would lead? I mean would it be better to just get a degree in engineering(specifically A.E or M.E) or would EP give me the extra the edge.

Has anyone ever changed engineering fields after graduating?

How much work(or rather time) would be involved to do say, complete BE Civil then do mechanical/aerospace?

I originally chose civil because I like buildings and awesome structures, also designing airports, marine structures etc seems pretty cool, but I was thinking if I join the defence force, a mechanical engineering degree would have me designing some exciting things.

Hey guys, i want a bit of help.
I recently found a great interest in engineering. I have a friend who did engineering at college for 2 years but then decided to drop out so I've been speaking to him a bit.
I don't have any qualifications apart from the basic maths and science that i left school with.
I'm thinking of doing mechanical engineering because that seems more practical from what i can tell and opens up the most opportunities.

Q1. Would i have to go to college full time or part time? (I have a child and i would also like to have a part time job as well so I am not sure how i could fit in a full time course)

Q2. If i go to college, how many hours per week will i have to do and for how many years?

Q3. Will i have to go to university too?

Q4. Will i have to study some sort of science and maths?

Q5. Could i do an open university course and just learn from home in my spare time?

I'm living in the UK and was planning on moving to london for work. My girlfriend is about to move to london for work too but she will be earning a very high wage I am just not sure i want to ask her to support me for 4 years while i study! It's also a 4 hour drive to collect my daughter every week so if i somehow manage to fit in an engineering course and maybe a maths/science course then I am going to lead a very hectic lifestyle for many years. Not sure if this is a good idea :/

All advice appreciated!

Thanks,
John

There are probably tons of engineers in here who have gone the hard road on this one who can tell you what that is like.

Here is my story. I just got out of the US Marine Corps and met my wife, we got married and all of a sudden I had two kids. I had no college degree, but I needed to get a job with a future. I applied to a HVAC mechanical engineering company as a drafter and started there.

I proved myself and started to learn the technical side of HVAC (equipment selection, theory, simple system design, etc.) and soon became a system designer. I did that for a couple years, while getting a business degree at an online college at night.

After I got my degree I took my resume around to some manufacturers rep companies and got a job as a sales engineer. My job at that point was to help engineers lay out equipment that I represented. Basically, a sales rep becomes a design specialist in a few different equipment applications and gets paid when the equipment sells.

Along the way I learned (2) things that might help you out with your questions:

1. You need a BSME to become a fully recognized HVAC Mechanical Engineer, but you can still make good money in HVAC and maintain an engineering type of profession without the BSME degree.

2. Graduates who enter into an HVAC engineering office don't know much at all about HVAC and are starting off at square one, just like anyone who shows up. They may understand the concepts of thermal and fluid dynamics, but they may not know how much a 1-ton FCU weighs. (about 40 pounds)

Advice: HVAC is huge with a very broad scope of professions and stakeholders. If you take to it and push yourself forward with enthusiasm you will be able to get ahead with or without a BSME degree.

There are some tutorials on this website for Novices to the HVAC industry. I recommend everyone just showing up to the trade to read some of these and learn a bit more about the basics.

www.aec.us.com

Thanks,
chris

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been contemplating engineering for a while now, mostly bc I don't like the field I am currently in (biochemistry). I would have to go back to school to obtain another degree, but I'm not so sure if another 4 yrs would be worth it, or maybe try to get work experience. I am good at/ don't mind doing math at all, but physics was never really that enjoyable to me; all the forces, and theoretical knowledge I needed to make a hypothesis was more annoying to me than anything else. I was initially interested in Mechanical, but I started to realize that it might be all physics.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a job as a mechanical engineer would be like( duties, actual work), particularly in the product design realm (I realize this field is broad, and I welcome answers for other specialties as well)? Thanks a lot!

Like you said, "mechanical engineering" is pretty broad. The only thing I am familiar with is "mechanical engineering" as in HVAC. It has a lot of concepts that you would need to master, but pretty much anything you would be doing has been done a million times and there are rules of thumb and people who can mentor you. HVAC is cool because while you might find PhD's in the big offices at design firms, you will also have GED's in the field putting the stuff together. Basically HVAC has room for everyone, no matter what your degree.

You could look into it and if you want to go back for a BSME at college then you would have the good opportunity to make it as a licensed PE, but like I was saying, there are way more jobs in HVAC then being a PE.

I have a business degree and I've been in HVAC / Mechanical Engineering for 7 years.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

Check this website out for some more information on the HVAC industry:
www.aec.us.com

-chris

Last edited by a moderator:

i love physics, it is an interesting subject, by my math abstraction is just average, though i want to be very good at math,, so I am practising solving math problems everyday hoping to level up my math aptitude.

im an electrical engineering

i know i can passed all this formidable obstacles ahead in my choosen career

Engineering is litle difficult but if you try to understand and like what you do then I think nothing is impossible. You should love what your actually doing then only you'll succeed in life.

College to entry level job

My background:

Throughout my primary and secondary schooling, technology was something I liked. On various occasions, my knowledge would help or detract from a situation, or fall somewhere in middle and due to the annals of time become a funny story worth mentioning. In first grade I mentioned to another student you could copy a favorite tape by borrowing another VCR player, a blank tape, cables, and by connecting the two VCRs together and pressing record, you have a copy. Because of my obsession with computers in sixth grade, and a failed attempt at using a floppy disk, detention was served. A couple years later when a school computer wasn't connecting for months, it was me wanting to solve to the problem that lend me to disconnected LAN cable.

The High school I attended offer Computer/Electronics as a two year Vocational Course, that I continued to pursue at the local community college. Over four years (part time), I ended up taking course that went above the requirements for the 'Electronics Technology' degree (A.A.S). This resulted in a number of credits applying towards a BS in Electrical Engineering. Last fall, I was able to transfer into the EE program at URI in sophomore standing.

Engineering is about trying to find practical solutions to problems using the various sciences (ie Physics, Mathematics, etc). To those wanting to get into it, there are times when self doubt and frustration will overwhelm. The key is stay the course, ask questions and find a personal nmenomic or two that helps in the understanding.

Hi guys,next year i will have to choose my profession and i am highly considering engineer(i am particularly interested in aerospace field) however my gusetion is how hard is it to get into one of top universities like CalTeh,MIT etc. I am not quite familliar with all details.Also is there anyone from UK,do you have any thoughts on great engineering schools there.And for engineering do you recommend USA or UK?Thanks.