Best iPhone Apps for GPS Recording for Driving Lessons

In summary, the speakers are discussing the difficulty of navigating while driving and the need for a GPS recording app. One person suggests MapMyRide and the other thanks them for the suggestion. They then discuss the confusion of road signs and interchanges and how the GPS recording app will help them review and prepare for their driving exam.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm taking driving lessons and can't keep track of the locations I drive around in, so I wish to record my GPS location on a map for later reviewing. What are some good iPhone apps that allow for GPS recording?

Computer science news on Phys.org
MapMyRide. It's intended for bikes but I think it should track just fine.

Great suggestion, thanks! The lessons are two hours and sometimes I come across an intersection, roundabout or complex interchange road that are really confusing and for some reason I can't find them back in Google maps.

Now I just know that when TomTom tells me to go to "S102", I most likely need to get to the left side of the road asap before an overpass. The navigator, signs, and road marks are too confusing. An example: I need to get onto a freeway, read the signs, the destination is not on the signs, what is the alternative destination, S102, where is it on the signs, can't see it, read the signs, stay in the right lane, don't go right, go left! (change three lanes to the left in heavy traffic) why don't you read the signs, didn't you see the sign? Um, no, the closest number I saw was S103 :uhh: I passed that crazy interchange two times now and just don't get where the roads are going to, I don't even get where exactly the location is, that clearly needs to change.

And it works! I have seven lessons left before my exam, this is a great reviewing tool :approve:

Attachments

• mapride.png
    mapride.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 432

There are several great iPhone apps that allow for GPS recording during driving lessons. Some popular options include "Driving Log," "MileIQ," and "Road Trip MPG." These apps use your phone's GPS technology to track and record your route, speed, and distance traveled. They also allow you to add notes or comments about specific locations or maneuvers during your driving lessons. Additionally, some of these apps offer features such as trip summaries, exporting data to spreadsheets, and tracking fuel expenses. It is important to note that using these apps while driving may be a distraction, so it is recommended to use them when safely parked or have a passenger operate the app. Overall, these apps can be a useful tool for reviewing your driving routes and progress during lessons.

1. What are the best iPhone apps for recording GPS during driving lessons?

The top five iPhone apps for GPS recording during driving lessons are:1. Waze2. Google Maps3. Sygic GPS Navigation & Maps4. CoPilot GPS5. HERE WeGo

2. Can these apps record the route taken during a driving lesson?

Yes, all of these apps have the ability to record the route taken during a driving lesson. Some may have additional features such as speed tracking and real-time traffic updates.

3. Is there a cost for using these apps?

Most of these apps are free to download and use, but may offer in-app purchases for additional features. Some may require a subscription for full access to all features.

4. Do these apps work offline?

Yes, all of these apps have the ability to work offline by downloading maps and routes beforehand. However, real-time features such as traffic updates may not be available offline.

5. Can these apps be used for other types of navigation besides driving lessons?

Yes, these apps can be used for various types of navigation, such as walking, cycling, and public transportation. They also offer features like voice navigation, real-time traffic updates, and points of interest along the route.