Chernobyl that it was spelled Chornobyl

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chernobyl
In summary, Warren Warren thinks that it's petty to change the name of CHerobyl because it was infamous around the world and it seems like an attitude rather than a historical fact.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I recently noticed in an article about Chernobyl that it was spelled Chornobyl. I conjecture that this is because the site is in Ukraine and the Ukranian language has chorno- meaning dark, whereas Russian has cherno-. (Which would mean that the folk song "Ochyii Chornya" - Dark Eyes - {forgive my barbaric spelling!} is a Ukranian one not a Russian one as usually assumed in the US).

It seems ahistorical to me to make this change at this late date.

Can anyone more expert in these languages than I comment on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. It's Chorno- in Ukranian, and Cherno- in Russian.

- Warren

Warren, what do you think about the respelling of CHerobyl? That is the name that became infamous around the world, and it seems rather petty to me to apply a dialect switch at this late date.

This is just another example of an attitude (ahistoricism riding high, or "they're dead, we can do what we like") which is a pet peeve for me.

Example: Changing the famous woman mathematician's name from Sonya Kowavlevski to Sonya Kowalevskaya. Reason: she was married to a Russian named Kowalevski and that's how they do it in Russia. But she didn't live in Russio; her husband died and she repaired to Western Europe to study mathematics as a widow. And she spelled her name Polish fashion because she was Polish. Why change it now?

Another example, all those CDs of Mrs. H. H. Beach's wonderful music calling her "Amy Beach" in big type. How that would have mortified her! It implies she was a little girl or an unmarried teenager, the only females referred to by strangers by their first names in those circles in those days. Mrs. Beach was proud of her married name and always used it in her musical career.

1. Why is it spelled Chornobyl instead of Chernobyl?

In Ukrainian, the name of the city is spelled as Chornobyl. The letter "h" is used instead of "r" in the English language. Therefore, the Ukrainian spelling has been adopted as the official name of the city.

2. Was the spelling of Chernobyl changed after the disaster?

No, the spelling of the city's name has always been Chornobyl in Ukrainian. However, after the nuclear disaster in 1986, it gained more international recognition and the spelling has been adapted to English as well.

3. Why is it important to use the correct spelling of Chornobyl?

Using the correct spelling of the city's name shows respect to the Ukrainian language and culture. It also helps to preserve the historical and cultural identity of the city.

4. Is there a difference in pronunciation between Chernobyl and Chornobyl?

Yes, there is a slight difference in pronunciation due to the different letters used in the two languages. Chernobyl is pronounced as "cher-no-bill" while Chornobyl is pronounced as "chor-no-bill".

5. Are there any other places in Ukraine with similar spelling changes?

Yes, there are other places in Ukraine that have different spellings in Ukrainian and English. For example, the city of Lviv is spelled as L'viv in Ukrainian. This is due to the use of the apostrophe in Ukrainian to indicate a soft sound.