Proving a given sequence is a delta sequence ~

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of showing that the given delta sequence is a delta sequence according to the definition provided. The individual has attempted to solve the problem using integration and the Mean Value Theorem, but is uncertain of how to apply the given hint. They are seeking guidance on how to proceed with the problem.
retrofit81
Hi! I'm in a mathematical ecology class and we're working with delta sequences.

I'm trying to show that

delta_n(x) = n if |x| <= 1/2n
= 0 if |x| > 1/2n

is a delta sequence.

----Definition of a delta sequence---------------------------------------
Suppose delta_n is a sequence of functions with the property that

lim (int delta_n*f(x) dx, -infinity, infinity) = f(0)
n->inf

for all smooth, absolutely integrable functions f(x). Then delta_n is a delta sequence.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I could start it by inserting the function into the definition, breaking up the resulting integral, and taking some limits (after some integration by parts, possibly) -- but that's gotten me nowhere. Perhaps I'm missing something there?

A "hint" that comes with the problem is:
Apply the Mean Value Theorem to a function of the form
F(x) = int( f(t) dt, a, x).

I'm not even sure how this hint applies.

I've been racking my brain a couple days and would totally appreciate some guidance! :)

Respectfully,

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Since f is a nice function, let F be an antiderivative of f. Then you can just evaluate the integral in terms of F (and n). Now you need to evaluate the limit and end up with f(0) somehow.

Last edited:

1. What is a delta sequence?

A delta sequence is a type of sequence that approaches zero as the number of terms increases. It is also known as a Cauchy sequence and is commonly used in calculus and analysis.

2. How do you prove that a given sequence is a delta sequence?

To prove that a given sequence is a delta sequence, you need to show that the sequence approaches zero as the number of terms increases and that the distance between consecutive terms also approaches zero.

3. What are the key properties of a delta sequence?

The key properties of a delta sequence are that it approaches zero as the number of terms increases, the distance between consecutive terms approaches zero, and it is bounded.

4. What is the importance of proving a sequence is a delta sequence?

Proving that a sequence is a delta sequence is important in mathematical analysis because it allows for the use of the Cauchy criterion, which states that a sequence is convergent if and only if it is a delta sequence.

5. Can a sequence be both a delta sequence and a divergent sequence?

No, a sequence cannot be both a delta sequence and a divergent sequence. A divergent sequence does not approach a specific limit, while a delta sequence approaches zero as the number of terms increases, indicating a specific limit.