Third Law Partners: Forces in Action

• Thread starter courtney1121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary: Therefore, the 3rd Law pair for D would be the gravitational force of the Earth on the chair. In summary, the third-law partners are b and c, as they both have a force exerted on one object and an equal and opposite force exerted on the other object. A and D are not third-law partners because they do not have a force acting on each object in the pair.
courtney1121
ok, got into an argument with a kid in my physics class about this one...

Which of the following are third-law partners?

a. A thrust force from its propeller pulls a plane forward; a drag force pushes it backward.
b. A car exerts a forward force on a trailer; the trailer tugs backward on the car.
c. A motorboat propeller pushes backward on the water; the water pushes forward on the propeller.
d. Gravity pulls down on a person sitting in a chair; the chair pushes back up on the person.

I just said d would be...he was saying b,c,and d...but I'm thinking there is a third force acting on both number b and c which will not make them equal and opposite in magnitudes.

Physics news on Phys.org
courtney1121 said:

a. A thrust force from its propeller pulls a plane forward; a drag force pushes it backward.
b. A car exerts a forward force on a trailer; the trailer tugs backward on the car.
c. A motorboat propeller pushes backward on the water; the water pushes forward on the propeller.
d. Gravity pulls down on a person sitting in a chair; the chair pushes back up on the person.

I just said d would be...he was saying b,c,and d...but I'm thinking there is a third force acting on both number b and c which will not make them equal and opposite in magnitudes.
Neither you nor your friend are correct. Two are third law partners, and two are not. I'm afriad your choice is not one of them. See if you can figure out why d is not.

hmm well if D isn't then gravity is only acting on one object then which is the chair. I didn't think it was A because the thrust force is going to overcome the drag force which will not make it equal in magnitude...I'm stuck between B and C then.

courtney1121 said:

If A exerts a force on B, then B exerts an equal but opposite force on A. Seems like b and c fit that bill exactly. Now what say you about d?

courtney1121 said:
hmm well if D isn't then gravity is only acting on one object then which is the chair. I didn't think it was A because the thrust force is going to overcome the drag force which will not make it equal in magnitude...I'm stuck between B and C then.
a and d share a common problem that excudes them. b and c do not have this problem.

For D, the 3rd Law pair of gravity on the chair is actually the gravitational force that is exerted by the chair on the Earth. Gravity acts both ways, as with any other force.

1. What is the Third Law of Partnerships?

The Third Law of Partnerships states that for every action taken by one partner (Partner A) in a partnership, there is an equal and opposite reaction by the other partners (Partners B, C, and D).

2. How does the Third Law of Partnerships apply to business partnerships?

In business partnerships, the Third Law states that any decision or action made by one partner will have a direct impact on the other partners. This means that all partners must work together and communicate effectively in order to achieve success and avoid any negative consequences.

3. Can the Third Law of Partnerships be applied to personal relationships?

Yes, the Third Law of Partnerships can be applied to personal relationships as well. Just like in business partnerships, any decision or action made by one person will have an impact on the other person. This emphasizes the importance of communication and teamwork in all types of partnerships.

4. What are some examples of the Third Law of Partnerships in action?

One example is in a business partnership where one partner makes a decision without consulting the others, causing conflict and hindering progress. Another example is in a personal relationship where one person's actions or words may hurt the other person, leading to a negative reaction or consequences.

5. How can partners effectively apply the Third Law in their partnership?

Partners can effectively apply the Third Law by maintaining open communication, considering the impact of their actions on the other partners, and working together towards common goals. It is also important for partners to have a clear understanding and agreement on roles, responsibilities, and decision-making processes within the partnership.