Maximum Safe Depth Calculation for a Submarine with a Thick Window

In summary, a research submarine has a 10.0-diameter window 8.90-inch thick that can withstand forces up to 1.10x10^6. The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm.
k3N70n

Homework Statement

A research submarine has a 10.0 -diameter window 8.90 thick. The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 1.10×10^6 . What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm.

Homework Equations

p=F/A
p=p(not) + ρgd
A=Pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

p = Fmax/A = Fmax/A = 1.1*10^6/(Pi * 0.05^2) = 1.40*10^8 Pa

p=p(not) + ρgd
1.40*10^8 = 101300 + 1030*9.81*d --> d= 13851m

I must be making some sort of error in understanding the theorey of this question. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank you kindly.

Kenton

Physics news on Phys.org
k3N70n said:

Homework Statement

A research submarine has a 10.0 -diameter window 8.90 thick. The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 1.10×10^6 . What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm.

Homework Equations

p=F/A
p=p(not) + ρgd
A=Pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

p = Fmax/A = Fmax/A = 1.1*10^6/(Pi * 0.05^2) = 1.40*10^8 Pa

p=p(not) + ρgd
1.40*10^8 = 101300 + 1030*9.81*d --> d= 13851m

You do not have to include the atmospheric pressure in your analysis. This is because at the surface the pressure is the same on the inside as outside so the net force is 0. As the submarine descends, the force on the window is due to water depth:

[tex]F = \rho gdA[/tex]

[tex]d = F_{max}/\rho gA[/tex]

I assume the maximum force is 1.10e6 N. Your answer should be about 10 m. deeper.

AM

Well I worked it out that way and got 13861 as you said though that is still wrong.

I just emailed my prof and it he gave me this hint
The given maximum force would be the net force taking into account the atmospheric pressure inside and the water outside." It looks like you are only considering the inward force from the ocean water, not the outward force due to the air pressure inside.

I'm not sure exactly how to proceed from here. Though I'll be working on it.

I agree with Andrew, that the sub's internal pressure should cancel out with the atmospheric pressure. Is there something amiss?

k3N70n said:
Well I worked it out that way and got 13861 as you said though that is still wrong.

I just emailed my prof and it he gave me this hint

I'm not sure exactly how to proceed from here. Though I'll be working on it.
You can add the sea-level atmospheric pressure (1 atm) to the water pressure to find the total outside pressure at at depth and then subtract the inside atmospheric pressure (1 atm) to find the net pressure on the window (and multiply by the window area to find the inward force on the window). The result is that the net force is just the pressure from the water x area of the window ([itex]\rho gdA[/itex]).

I get a slightly different answer than you do, using your figures:

[tex]d = F/\rho gA = 1.10e6/1030*9.81*3.14*.05^2 = 13868 m[/tex].
To an accuracy of three significant figures the correct answer would be 13900 m.

AM

Last edited:
Thanks. I really wasn't understanding last night. I good nights rest was the best answer. Thanks for all your help.

Kenton

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area of a surface. It is a measure of the amount of force exerted over a given area, usually measured in units of pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. The formula for pressure is: P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What is the difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted on an object, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is the difference between the absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure. In other words, gauge pressure measures the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure.

4. How does depth affect pressure in fluids?

The deeper an object is submerged in a fluid, the greater the pressure exerted on the object. This is due to the weight of the fluid above the object, known as hydrostatic pressure. The deeper the object is submerged, the greater the hydrostatic pressure.

5. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in fluids?

The relationship between pressure and volume in fluids is described by Boyle's Law, which states that when the temperature remains constant, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. In other words, as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.