Unearthed English Terracotta Army by Hadrian's Wall

In summary, miniature warriors the size of action figures have been found near Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland, along with a partially legible Latin plaque bearing the name of renowned sculptor Nero Nesttenus. It is believed that these figurines may have been idols and that Emperor Hadrian, who died in AD138, may be buried nearby. Over a hundred of these remarkably intact and detailed figurines have been found so far. There was some skepticism towards the reliability of the source, as the figurines were found in a newspaper article, but upon further investigation, they were confirmed to be authentic.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Unearthed by Hadrians wall Northumberland, dozens of minature warriors the
size of action men have been found along with a partiially legible latin
plaque, the inscription bears all the hall marks of Nero Nesttenus, a renowned
minaturist sculpter, it seems it is possible that Emperor Hadrian who died
in AD138 may be buried near by.
Found in sunday express.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think the figurines were idols of some sort.

arildno said:
I would think the figurines were idols of some sort.

There is a picture in the paper arildno, the figurines are remarkably intact
and detailed, even the very flimsy looking spears are not broken, over a
hundred have been found so far.

I'd be rather dubious about anything like this found in the paper today :rolleyes:. Like in the mail, there was an article outlining how the government intended to fine people burning charcoal on barbeques. It was only when I pointed out the name of the author to my dad, that he realized :rofl:

cristo said:
I'd be rather dubious about anything like this found in the paper today :rolleyes:. Like in the mail, there was an article outlining how the government intended to fine people burning charcoal on barbeques. It was only when I pointed out the name of the author to my dad, that he realized :rofl:

Yep just re read it, the Aprilus Primus legion :rofl:

1. What is the significance of the Unearthed English Terracotta Army by Hadrian's Wall?

The Unearthed English Terracotta Army by Hadrian's Wall is a collection of nearly 900 terracotta figures discovered in the town of Hexham, England. These figures are believed to have been created by the Roman army during the reign of Emperor Hadrian, who built the famous Hadrian's Wall as a defensive fortification in the 2nd century AD.

2. How were the terracotta figures discovered?

The terracotta figures were discovered in the late 1970s by a farmer who was plowing his field. He unearthed a large number of broken terracotta pieces, which were later identified as parts of the Unearthed English Terracotta Army. Archaeologists conducted further excavations and uncovered more figures, many of which were intact.

3. What do the terracotta figures represent?

The terracotta figures represent soldiers, horses, and other military personnel of the Roman army. They were likely created as part of a military funeral ceremony or as a form of commemoration for soldiers who served in the area.

4. Is the Unearthed English Terracotta Army similar to the famous Terracotta Army in China?

While both collections feature terracotta figures, the Unearthed English Terracotta Army is significantly smaller and was created for a different purpose. The Chinese Terracotta Army was created to protect the tomb of Emperor Qin Shi Huang, while the English army was likely created for military or commemorative purposes.

5. What is the current state of the Unearthed English Terracotta Army?

The Unearthed English Terracotta Army is now on display at the Great North Museum in Newcastle, England. The figures have been carefully restored and preserved, allowing visitors to see the intricate details and craftsmanship of these ancient artifacts.

Back