My chances at these european grad schools

In summary, the minimum requirements for admission to European grad schools include a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, a strong academic record, and good language proficiency. Other factors that can influence your chances of getting into a European grad school include test scores, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and relevant experience. International students are welcome at many European grad schools, but admission requirements and processes may differ. Scholarships and financial aid are available for international students, but they may be limited and competitive. To increase your chances of admission, it is important to maintain a strong academic record, prepare for standardized tests, obtain strong letters of recommendation, and gain relevant experience.
Gargle Blaster
I'm currently in the second year of my bachelor degree (three years) in physics (in Hungary) and I'm starting to look for a school, where I could continue my studies and get the master degree. I'm mostly interested in mathematical and theoretical physics.

I've found following universities very interesting, regarding their programmes and reputation:

LMU Munich
ETHZ Zurich
University of Vienna
Imperial college london
Cambridge
Oxford

My situation is:

The good things:
I have (sofar) a GPA of 4.0 (out of 4.0) I'm doing research in condensed matter theory and I think I can get good letters of recomendation from my professors

The bad (?) things:
Before I started studying physics I was studying EE for 1 year, but I didn't like the school so I decided to leave it and study physics (from the first year);
I wasn't on any summerschool or REU or anything like that and I also don't have any special extracurricular activities (like student parliament or something like that)

What do you think my chances are at these schools? Does anybody here have an experience with some of these schools?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a very strong academic background and have done great work so far, which is a great start! Your chances of getting accepted at some of these top-tier schools are definitely good.

I don't have any personal experience with those universities, but I'm sure there are others on this forum who do. You could try asking around to get more information from people who have studied at or applied to these schools before. Good luck!

I can say that your chances at these European grad schools seem quite promising. Your GPA of 4.0 is excellent and shows that you have a strong academic background in physics. Additionally, your research experience in condensed matter theory is a valuable asset and will likely be viewed positively by admissions committees.

While your previous year studying EE may not be directly related to physics, it can still demonstrate your ability to adapt and make decisions in pursuit of your academic interests. As for extracurricular activities, while they can be beneficial, they are not always necessary for admission to graduate programs in the sciences. Your research experience and strong academic performance will likely hold more weight in the admissions process.

I cannot speak to specific experiences at these schools, but based on your academic background and research experience, I believe you have a good chance at being accepted into these programs. I would also recommend reaching out to current graduate students or faculty at these schools to gain more insight into the admissions process and what they look for in applicants. Good luck with your applications!

What are the minimum requirements for admission to European grad schools?

The minimum requirements for admission to European grad schools vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, you will need a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a relevant field, a strong academic record, and good language proficiency. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

What factors influence my chances of getting into a European grad school?

Several factors can influence your chances of getting into a European grad school, including your academic record, test scores, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and relevant experience. Other factors such as the competitiveness of the program and the number of available spots may also play a role.

Do European grad schools accept international students?

Yes, many European grad schools welcome international students and have specific programs and resources to support them. However, admission requirements and processes may differ for international students, so it is important to research each school's policies and procedures.

Are there scholarships or financial aid available for international students at European grad schools?

Yes, many European grad schools offer scholarships and financial aid for international students. However, these opportunities may be limited and highly competitive. It is important to research and apply for scholarships and financial aid early in the application process.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into a European grad school?

To increase your chances of getting into a European grad school, you should focus on maintaining a strong academic record, preparing for any required standardized tests, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and writing a compelling statement of purpose. Additionally, gaining relevant experience through internships, research projects, or volunteer work can also improve your chances of admission.