Can someone recommend a good computer program?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a computer program that can perform symbolical algebraic calculations, specifically multiplying complex matrices. The example given involves an arbitrary SU(2) matrix and Pauli spin matrices. The person is looking for a program that can make this type of calculation easier and someone recommends the free software, Maxima.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm looking for a computer program that can do symbolical (i.e. not numerical) algebraic calculations. It doesn't have to do anything absurdly complicated, but it has to be able to multiply complex matrices. For example if I know that an arbitrary SU(2) matrix [itex]\lambda[/itex] can be expressed as

[tex]\lambda=\begin{pmatrix}a& b\\ -b^*& a^*\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

then what is

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^3 x^i \lambda\sigma_i\lambda^\dagger[/tex]

where the [itex]\sigma_i[/itex] are the Pauli spin matrices? I came across this expression the other day, and I decided that I don't care enough about the result to do the calculation explicitly. :smile: I also thought that there must be some kind of software that makes this sort of thing easy.

So...can someone recommend a program that can do this sort of thing?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

There are several computer programs that can perform symbolical algebraic calculations and handle complex matrices. Some popular options include Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB. These programs have built-in functions for matrix operations and can handle abstract algebraic expressions as well. You can easily input your expression and get the result without having to do the calculation manually. I would suggest trying out different programs to see which one suits your needs and preferences the best.

1. How do I know if a computer program is good for my needs?

The best way to determine if a computer program is good for your needs is to research and read reviews from trusted sources, such as technology websites or forums. You can also try a free trial or demo version of the program before purchasing.

2. Is it better to buy a computer program or use a free one?

It depends on your specific needs and budget. Free programs may have limited features or may be supported by advertisements, while paid programs often have more advanced features and better customer support.

3. How can I make sure a recommended computer program is safe to download?

You should always download programs from official and reputable sources, such as the developer's website or a trusted app store. Be cautious of downloading from unfamiliar websites or clicking on suspicious links.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in a good computer program?

The features you should look for depend on the specific purpose of the program. Some important factors to consider include user-friendliness, compatibility with your computer's operating system, and the ability to perform the tasks you need efficiently.

5. Can I get a refund if I am not satisfied with the recommended computer program?

It depends on the program's refund policy, which can usually be found on the developer's website or in the terms and conditions. Some programs may offer a money-back guarantee within a certain time period, while others may not offer refunds at all.