Vector Addition of Electric Forces in a Plane

In summary: However, when I tried to add the x and y components of the third force, F_tc, I got an error. I think I may have made a mistake in the component addition or in calculating the resultant magnitude.Everything else is correct, so I'm thinking the problem might be with the third force. I've tried entering different values for F_tc, but I keep getting the same error. I'm really lost at this point and I would really appreciate any help you can provide.In summary, the problem the student is trying to solve involves the effect that two charges has on a third and they need to find the magnitude of the resulting force. In this particular problem it's the effect of A and B on
dchrisma
The problem I'm trying to solve involves the effect that two charges has on a third and I need to find the magnitude of the resulting force. In this particular problem it's the effect of A and B on C.

The work I've done so far is attached so please take a look. I've been trying to add together the x and y components of each force to find the total, but any answer I've come up with is not accepted. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,280
Physics news on Phys.org
didn't you misplaced your results in the end, lad?

you have 1 force with 2 components (as your established axis implies) and another force 1 component.

I see you've written Fx = (number) + 0 which doesn't make sense with your previous work.

The result will be obtained by

[tex] \vec{R} = \vec{F}_{AC} + \vec{F}_{BC} [/tex]

Ok so I've been trying to that exact thing. Since there is a repulsion between A and C, F_AC will be negative yes? And F_BC will be positive due to the attraction between B and C? Something has to be wrong with those assumptions on my part since I've checked the math repeatedly and F_AC + F_BC is not giving me a correct answer.

I checked your numbers, the result is other, you might have made a mistake in the component addition to obtain the resultant magnitude or in calculating the resultant magnitude. Everything else is fine.

So the magnitude of the total force equals F_ac + F_bc. If this is true, then masteringphysics should be accepting my answer of 2.83*10^-5, which it is not. I'm very frustrated at this point. I've only entered 8 possible answers with nothing correct. I know there has to be some silly little mistake I'm making here.

It accepted my answers for the first two parts of the question. The sum of the x components is 8.47*10^-5 and the sum of the y components is -5.64*10^-5. Like you said, my math is correct, at least in respect to that portion of the question.

Last edited:

What is vector addition of electric forces in a plane?

Vector addition of electric forces in a plane is a mathematical process used to calculate the total electric force acting on a charged particle in a two-dimensional plane. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each electric force acting on the particle.

Why is vector addition of electric forces in a plane important in science?

Vector addition of electric forces in a plane is important in science because it allows us to accurately predict the motion of charged particles in electric fields. This is crucial in understanding and studying various phenomena, such as the behavior of electrons in electronic devices.

How is vector addition of electric forces in a plane calculated?

Vector addition of electric forces in a plane is calculated by using the principles of vector addition, where the individual electric forces are represented as vectors with magnitude and direction. The resultant vector, representing the total electric force, is then calculated using trigonometry or graphical methods.

What are some real-life applications of vector addition of electric forces in a plane?

Vector addition of electric forces in a plane is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, the study of the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, and the calculation of the electric fields in medical imaging techniques like MRI.

Can vector addition of electric forces in a plane be applied to three-dimensional problems?

Yes, vector addition of electric forces in a plane can be extended to three-dimensional problems. In this case, the individual electric forces are represented as vectors in three dimensions, and the resultant vector is calculated using the principles of vector addition in three dimensions.