[Thermo] Equation of State Given, Find Internal Energy and Specific Heat

In summary, the conversation discussed how to derive the specific heat capacity, Cv, from the given equation. The solution involved integrating the equation and using the ideal gas heat capacity to obtain the final equation for Cv.
cabanda

Homework Statement

P=RT/(v-b) - a/(T(V+c)^2)

Homework Equations

u2-u1= Integral ( Cv dT) + Integral ( T * (dP/dT)v - P) dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I've differentiated P with respect to T to get R/(v-b)+a/(T^2(V+C)^2 and plugged the relevants back into the equation for u2-u1. I'm confused as to how to derive both Cv and U2-u1 from the equation. At first I thought Cv would drop out of the first equation and I could just solve for my internal energy solving to get 2* Integral(a / T(v+c)^2) dv but then I'm stuck with just an equation for internal energy and no way to go back and get the specific heat. Any pointers?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As in the OP, I also get $$du=C_vdT+\frac{2a}{T(V+C)^2}dV$$
Assuming I know ##u(T_1,V_1)##, I can integrate the differential equation from ##V_1## to infinite V at constant temperature to obtain $$u(T_1,\infty)=u(T_1,V_1)+\frac{2a}{T_1(V_1+C)}$$At infinite volume, ##C_v=C_v^{IG}##, where ##C_v^{IG}(T)## is the ideal gas heat capacity (a function only of T). Therefore, if I next integrate the differential equation at infinite volume between ##(T_1,\infty)## and ##(T,\infty)##, I obtain: $$u(T,\infty)=u(T_1,\infty)+\int_{T_1}^T{C_v^{IG}(T')dT'}$$Next, if I hold the temperature constant at T and integrate from infinite volume to finite arbitrary volume V, I obtain: $$u(T,V)=u(T,\infty)-\frac{2a}{T(V+C)}$$
Finally, combining the previous three equations then yields: $$u(T,V)=u(T_1,V_1)+\frac{2a}{T_1(V_1+C)}+\int_{T_1}^T{C_v^{IG}(T')dT'}$$$$-\frac{2a}{T(V+C)}$$From this, it follows that the heat capacity of the gas at (T,V) is given by: $$C_v(T,V)=C_v^{IG}(T)+\frac{2a}{T^2(V+C)}$$

Last edited:

1. What is the equation of state?

The equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a thermodynamic system. It relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a system to its internal energy and other thermodynamic properties.

2. How can the equation of state be used to find internal energy?

The equation of state can be used to find internal energy by rearranging the equation to solve for internal energy. This can be done by substituting in values for pressure, volume, and temperature, and solving for internal energy.

3. What is specific heat and how is it related to internal energy?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is related to internal energy because internal energy is the total energy of a system, including both kinetic and potential energies of its particles.

4. Can the equation of state be used to find specific heat?

Yes, the equation of state can be used to find specific heat by rearranging the equation to solve for specific heat. This can be done by substituting in values for pressure, volume, and temperature, and solving for specific heat.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equation of state to find internal energy and specific heat?

Yes, there are limitations to using the equation of state to find internal energy and specific heat. The equation is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately describe the behavior of all thermodynamic systems. Additionally, it may not take into account factors such as phase changes or chemical reactions that can affect the internal energy and specific heat of a system.