Ande-Sitter Spacetime: Neg Cos Const & Static Universe

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the Ande-Sitter Spacetime, also known as anti-de Sitter spacetime, incorporates a negative cosmological constant and results in a constantly contracting universe. It is an empty universe with a negative cosmological constant and is the most symmetric solution of the Einstein equations.
Imparcticle
From what I have gathered from another thread, the Ande-Sitter Spacetime incorperates a negative cosmological constant. Then the universe would constantly be contracting. I am sure I am missing something here. Does the Ande-Siter spacetime incorperate a static universe as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imparcticle said:
From what I have gathered from another thread, the Ande-Sitter Spacetime incorperates a negative cosmological constant. Then the universe would constantly be contracting. I am sure I am missing something here. Does the Ande-Siter spacetime incorperate a static universe as well?

One can say a lot, for instance if the Universe is constantly Contracting, then it would have a no-boundery(because the boundery would forever be expanding away).

But here is Ed Witten's thoughts link:http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/strings98/witten/oh/04.html

I believe this is an original paper of above:http://www.worldscinet.com/ijmpa/16/1616/S0217751X01004451.html

I never heard of Ande-Sitter Spacetime. I guess you mean anti-de Sitter spacetime (AdS). :wink: .
It is an empty universe with negative cosmological constant.
AdS spaces are the most symmetric solutions of the Einstein equations (with lambda<0).

1. What is Ande-Sitter Spacetime?

Ande-Sitter Spacetime is a mathematical model of the universe that was proposed by Arthur Eddington and Willem de Sitter in the early 20th century. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity and describes a universe that is expanding at a constant rate.

2. What is the Negative Cosmological Constant in Ande-Sitter Spacetime?

The Negative Cosmological Constant is a term that was added to Einstein's field equations in order to account for the observed expansion of the universe. It represents a repulsive force that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter and causes the universe to expand at a constant rate.

3. How does Ande-Sitter Spacetime differ from other models of the universe?

Ande-Sitter Spacetime is unique in that it describes a universe that is expanding at a constant rate, rather than accelerating or decelerating. It also assumes a negative cosmological constant, which is not present in other models such as the Big Bang theory.

4. Is Ande-Sitter Spacetime a static universe?

Yes, Ande-Sitter Spacetime describes a static universe, meaning that it does not have a beginning or an end. This is in contrast to other models, such as the Big Bang theory, which propose a universe that is constantly evolving and expanding.

5. What evidence supports Ande-Sitter Spacetime?

One of the main pieces of evidence for Ande-Sitter Spacetime is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early stages of the universe. This radiation is consistent with a static universe that is expanding at a constant rate. Additionally, the discovery of dark energy, which is thought to be the cause of the universe's expansion, aligns with the predictions of Ande-Sitter Spacetime.