IB Extended Essay topics in Physics

In summary, a student is seeking ideas for a specific and testable topic for their college-level physics essay. They express interest in mechanics and constructing a complicated rig, and others suggest ideas such as optics and Lagrange's Analytical Mechanics. The student then considers investigating the factors that affect spring constant and the physics of sails on a sailboat. They question whether the usefulness of a sail has the same form as a flux problem with three terms, and also mention being advised that making the blades of a windmill wider can actually decrease its efficiency.
shadowfire1

Homework Statement

I'm currently attending an IB school and as a part in our curriculum we have to write a college level essay in one of our subjects. I’ve chosen to do mine in physics. However I don’t have any ideas for what my physics topic would be.

The topic must be:
1. specific
2. testable

I was hoping of finding a topic, which requires me to build or construct a fairly complicated rig, so perhaps mechanics.

If anyone has any ideas at all of what I could do it would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Optics isn't bad either. I remember in AP Physics we did a decent (but rather easy) lab on experimentally finding focal lengths of mirrors and lenses using rulers, candles, and the mirrors and lenses themselves. Series of mirrors or lenses could be tested to use involve the complexity you're looking for too. Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas they're greatly appreciated but i have to be able to write 3,000 word conclusion to my thesis so I'm looking for something more indepth, thanks

How good are you at math? You could try Lagrange's Analytical Mechanics.

Here is a good reference that condenses the material nicely: http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/lagrange.htm

Last edited:
Thnaks for all the ideas. I've been doing some research and i was thinking about doing an essay about the physics in the sails of a sail boat. Does anyone know what factors and or expirements i could divide the the topic into?

As for the sail of a sailboat, I'd be interested to learn whether it's a flux problem. As an analogy, comparing it to a solar power panel, the effectiveness of that solar panel depends on on three things, an intensity term (the brightness of the sunlight), an area term (surface area of the solar panel), and a trig function of an angle (representing to what extent does the sunlight hit the panel perpendicularly). It's the same form, three terms multiplied, that we find in problems involving electric flux and magnetic flux. So how about a sailboat? Does the useful force that moves the sailboat have that same form, a multiplication of three terms, with the wind speed as the intensity term, the size of the sail as the area term, and the trig function of the angle having the same role? I'm not so sure. Sadly, I have been advised in the past that a windmill is *not* a simple flux problem -- when I asked around why they don't make the blades of a windmill very wide to catch more wind, I was told that doing that makes it work even worse, because then more of the wind would go around the windmill instead of going through it!

1. What is the purpose of the IB Extended Essay in Physics?

The IB Extended Essay in Physics is a research project that allows students to explore a topic of their choice in depth, apply the scientific method, and develop critical thinking and research skills. It also provides an opportunity for students to demonstrate their understanding of key concepts and apply their knowledge to real-world situations.

2. How do I choose a suitable topic for my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

It is important to choose a topic that interests you and aligns with your strengths and skills. Consider a topic that is relevant to current research in physics and has the potential to provide new insights or solutions. It should also be specific enough to be manageable within the word limit and have access to resources for research.

3. Can I conduct experiments for my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Yes, conducting experiments is one of the main components of the IB Extended Essay in Physics. However, it is not mandatory. If you choose to conduct experiments, they should be carefully designed, controlled, and documented to ensure validity and reliability. Ethical considerations and safety precautions should also be taken into account.

4. How important is data analysis in the IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Data analysis is crucial in the IB Extended Essay in Physics as it allows you to draw meaningful conclusions from your research. It is important to use appropriate statistical methods and clearly present and interpret your data. You should also discuss any limitations or sources of error in your data.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in writing an IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid include choosing a topic that is too broad, not following the required structure and format, not citing sources properly, and not clearly linking the research question to the conclusion. It is also important to proofread your essay and seek feedback from your supervisor to ensure that your arguments are clear and well-supported.