What is the Young's Modulus for Plastics and How Can I Find an Accurate Value?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the Young's Modulus for plastics. The speaker has already calculated a value of 10.9 GPa but needs to compare it to an actual value. They have searched online and in textbooks but have not found a definitive answer. Q_Goest provides a link to a website with mechanical properties for over 50,000 polymers. The speaker then asks for a general value as they do not know the specific type of plastic. The conversation ends with the suggestion to take an average value from a selection of plastics. It is mentioned that this question may be related to coursework.
mathsgeek
Young's Modulus for Plastic URGENT

I was wondering what is the young's modulus for plastics because I am looking all over the internet and can't find anything? Its because in an experiment i calculated it to be 10.9GPa but i need to compare it to an actual value. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

What type of plastic? There are many types, each with its own characteristic stiffness. (10.9 GPa wouldn't be unusual.)

You can find stiffness values in many reference books; search for handbooks on polymers/materials selection/mechanical engineering.

Try http://www.matweb.com/search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx" also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well i just need to knowthe literature value for plastics (most of them i would believe) so where on that site and internet could i find that because I've got a materials science and engineering textbook and it isn't in there?

Q_Goest's link takes you to a site with mechanical properties for >50,000 polymers. It would be more effective if you explained why the earlier answers are unsatisfactory instead of just continuing to bump the thread.

Because i need a general value as we arent told what type of plastic it is.

Pick ten at random and take the average value. Actually, this is a good idea for any engineer, if just to know whether plastics have a typical stiffness of 1kPa, 1MPa, or 1GPa.

mathsgeek said:
Because i need a general value as we arent told what type of plastic it is.

Let me see if I get this straight. You have a table for all sorts of kinds of plastic. You, who presumably has access to the plastic in question, can't decide what number to use. So you ask us, people who don't have access to the plastic in question, which number to use? How can we possibly be in a better position than you are?

Q_Goest gave you the best possible answer.

By the way, is this coursework? It's starting to sound like it.

1. What is Young's Modulus for Plastic?

Young's Modulus for Plastic is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a plastic material. It is also referred to as the modulus of elasticity or the elastic modulus.

2. How is Young's Modulus for Plastic different from Young's Modulus for other materials?

Young's Modulus for Plastic is specific to plastic materials and measures the amount of stress a plastic material can withstand before it permanently deforms. It is different from Young's Modulus for other materials because each material has its own unique properties and responses to stress.

3. What factors affect Young's Modulus for Plastic?

The main factors that affect Young's Modulus for Plastic are the type of plastic, its chemical composition, and its processing method. The temperature and strain rate can also have an impact on Young's Modulus for Plastic.

4. Why is Young's Modulus for Plastic important in engineering and design?

Young's Modulus for Plastic is an essential factor in engineering and design because it helps engineers determine the strength and durability of a plastic material. It allows them to make informed decisions about which plastic is suitable for a specific application and how it will perform under stress.

5. Can Young's Modulus for Plastic change over time?

Yes, Young's Modulus for Plastic can change over time due to various factors such as physical aging, exposure to environmental conditions, and chemical degradation. It is essential to consider these factors when using plastic materials in applications that require long-term durability.