I failed my intro Physics Test

In summary, the speaker failed their intro Physics test with a score of 24%, which is worth 20% of their final grade. They have been studying hard but attribute their poor performance to being out of school for 15 years. They are seeking suggestions on how to improve their grade and plan on getting a tutor. They also mention struggling with test-related stress and consider repeating the course next semester. They are asked about their study habits and areas of difficulty, and are encouraged to not feel stressed and to continue their education.
1irishman
Today I failed my intro Physics Test...I got 24%. This test is worth 20% of my final overall grade...so I'm really quite bummed out about this. I've been studying hard...I guess it's because I'm in my 30's and haven't been in school doing Physics for around 15 years. Anyway, anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to boost my grade? I also get so stressed out under testing conditions that it impedes my ability to think at times...crazy! I'm thinking about repeating this course next semester to get a really good exposure to all the fundamentals...i'm also getting a tutor soon...probably starting with tutor next week I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your study habits like? To what do you allocate your time during study sessions? What are you having trouble with specifically? More information would help others help you. Were you confident before the test? Often the students who feel inadequately prepared get stressed out. Are you able to solve most of the problems from your textbook?

But don't get stressed and congratulations on returning to school!

Last edited:

I'm sorry to hear that you did not perform as well as you had hoped on your intro Physics Test. It can be challenging to return to a subject after a long period of time, especially one that requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills like physics. It's great that you have recognized your areas for improvement and are taking steps to address them, such as getting a tutor and potentially repeating the course next semester.

In terms of boosting your grade, I would suggest focusing on practicing as many problems as possible. This will help you become more comfortable with the material and improve your test-taking skills. You may also want to try different study techniques, such as creating flashcards, summarizing key concepts, or teaching the material to someone else. Additionally, it may be helpful to talk to your professor or a teaching assistant about any areas where you struggled on the test and see if they have any specific advice or resources for you.

Lastly, it's important to manage your stress during testing conditions. Consider trying some relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or visualization, before and during the test. It may also be helpful to remind yourself that one test does not define your abilities or determine your future success in the course.

Overall, it's great that you are determined to improve and are taking proactive steps to do so. With hard work and dedication, I am confident that you can achieve your goals in this course. Best of luck to you!

1. Why did I fail my intro Physics test?

There could be several reasons for failing your intro Physics test. Some possible reasons include not studying enough, not fully understanding the material, or making careless mistakes on the exam.

2. Can I retake the test?

It depends on your school's policies. Some schools allow retakes for a better grade, while others do not. It's best to check with your professor or academic advisor for more information.

3. Will failing this test affect my overall grade in the class?

It depends on how much the test was worth in terms of your overall grade. If it was a significant portion, then it may have a noticeable impact. However, if the test was a small portion of your overall grade, it may not have a significant effect.

4. How can I improve my grade after failing this test?

One of the best ways to improve your grade is to review the material you missed on the test and seek help from your professor or a tutor. You can also make sure to study more effectively and practice with additional problems to better prepare for future exams.

5. Will failing this test affect my future in Physics?

Failing one intro Physics test does not necessarily mean that you will struggle in the subject in the future. It's important to learn from your mistakes and continue to work hard in the class. If you are concerned, consider seeking help from a tutor or talking to your professor for additional support.