Physics question with polynomials

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a bullet fired with an initial velocity of 1200 ft/sec and described by the function h(t)= -16t^2+1200t to fall back to the ground. The solution involves finding the roots of the function and determining the time when the bullet will reach the ground, which is approximately 75 seconds. However, this problem may require further considerations of physics, such as gravity.
acuraintegra9
this seems more like a physics word problem, I am not even sure how to set this problem up to use it as a polynomial.

"A person holds a pistol straight upward and fires. The initial velocity of most bullets is around 1200 ft/sec. The hieght of the bullet is a function of time and is described by

h(t)= -16t^2+1200t

How long after the gun is fired, does the person have to get out of the way of the bullet falling from the sky??
"

not even sure what to do or how to set it up..

Physics news on Phys.org
find the roots and then you'll have 0 for when the gun is fired and the other root when the bullet falls to the ground, the time would be the number when the bullet would come back down (t )

so I factored out -16t and got (t - 75) so I get 75, so I guess the answer is 75, as in 75 seconds till the bullet comes back down?? I guess that seems realistic.

seems like this would be more involved with physics, like including gravity..PS THANKS FOR THE HELP

acuraintegra9 said:
so I factored out -16t and got (t - 75) so I get 75, so I guess the answer is 75, as in 75 seconds till the bullet comes back down?? I guess that seems realistic.

seems like this would be more involved with physics, like including gravity..PS THANKS FOR THE HELP

well they defined some function for you already so that's all you have to worry about
you're welcome :)

1. What are polynomials in physics?

Polynomials in physics are mathematical expressions consisting of variables, coefficients, and exponents. They are used to model physical phenomena and relationships between different quantities in physics.

2. How are polynomials used in physics equations?

Polynomials are used in physics equations to represent various physical quantities such as position, velocity, acceleration, and force. These equations help us understand and predict the behavior of objects in the physical world.

3. Can polynomials be used to solve physics problems?

Yes, polynomials can be used to solve physics problems by setting up and manipulating equations to find unknown quantities. They can also be used to analyze and interpret data in experiments.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial in physics?

The degree of a polynomial in physics refers to the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. It determines the complexity and behavior of the physical phenomenon being modeled.

5. How are polynomials related to calculus in physics?

Polynomials are closely related to calculus in physics as they are used to represent and analyze functions that describe the relationship between different physical quantities. Calculus helps us understand the behavior of these functions and how they change over time.