HELP Find all abelian groups (up to isomorphism)

So, Z2 * Z2 has order lcm(2,2) = 2Thanks for pointing this out! You are right, the order is the lcm of the orders of the individual groups, not the product. That was a mistake on my part. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
nalkapo
HELP! Find all abelian groups (up to isomorphism)!

I am really confused on this topic.
can you give me an example and explain how you found, pleaseee!
for example, when i find abelian group of order 20;
|G|=20
i will find all factors and write all of them,
Z_20
(Z_10) * (Z_2)
(Z_5)* (Z_2) * (Z_2)

for higher order such as |G|=200 , i can't do this.(i did and it was wrong)
can you tell me the difference.. how should i find them?
thanks by now...

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh, finite ... How boring.
I read the title "Find all abelian groups" so I came here to tell you to read on Ulm's Theorem. But that's not so interesting for finite groups.

yeah, tell me!
in the textbooks there is nothing.. i can't find any understandable example. just theorems and proofs! is there anyone can help?

VeeEight, thanks for this example, but it is not explained how they found..

Here is another link: http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj&from=objects&id=4654

The important thing to remember here is that Zmn is isomorphic to ZmxZn if and only if gcd (m,n)=1. Therefore, Z6 is isomorphic to Z3xZ2 because gcd(2,3)=1 (and (2)(3)=6). Thus, one way to complete this exercise is to try to decompose your group Z200 into a direct product of groups, ZaxZbxZc... where (a)(b)(c)... = 200 and then apply the above theorem to cancel out the groups that are isomorphic.

For example, 200 can be decomposed as 200=(25)(8). But gcd (25, 8) = 1 so Z25xZ8 is isomorphic to Z200 by the above theorem. Doing this method of writing out all the decompositions and canceling out the isomorphic groups works but can be frustrating since there is a lot of information to work through. Therefore it is helpful to first find the prime factorization of the order (200 in this case) and work out the problem like they did in the link above.

Last edited:

VeeEight, this answer and the link were really helpful.. Thanks..

now i get it! by using your information and my homework assignment i got this idea:
for 200 = (2^3).(5^2)
so, our factors can be;
(2^3).(5^2) =Z_8 x Z_25
(2^1).(2^2).(5^2) = Z_2 x Z_4 x Z_25
(2^1).(2^1).(2^1).(5^2)= Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_25
these are for varying exponents of 2.
then,
(2^3).(5^1).(5^1) =Z_8 x Z_25
(2^1).(2^2).(5^1).(5^1) = Z_2 x Z_4 x Z_25
(2^1).(2^1).(2^1).(5^1).(5^1) = Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_25
these are for varying exponents of 5

also, one of the direct product cannot be 200, 100, 50, 40... (Z_200, Z_100, Z_50...), because they are not power of a prime! so, we have only 6 abelian groups up to isomorphism.. Is that true??

All finite abelian groups are of the form (Z_a)x(Z_b)x...x(Z_n) and anything of this form is a finite abelian group.

So if your group is of order 20, it must be one of (Z_20), (Z_10)x(Z_2), (Z_5)x(Z_4), (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2). But (Z_mn)=(Z_M)x(Z_n) iff m,n are coprime.

So (Z_20) is isomorphic to (Z_5)x(Z_4). (Z_4) is not iso to (Z_2)x(Z_2) because 2 and 2 are not coprime. Also, (Z_20) is not iso to (Z_10)x(Z_2).

So all abelian groups of order 20 are: (Z_20)=iso-to(Z_5)x(Z_4) or (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2)

Following in this manner, given any number, n, express it as a product of primes, p_1 ... p_m

Then an abelian group of order n is of the form (Z_(p_1))x...(Z_(p_m)) except that if we have repeated primes, we may multiply them together, to give a different group which has some factors (Z_(p_i)^j) say. (We can do this for any any j and any of the p_i's)

So with 20, 20=2x2x5 is a prime factorisation of 20. So we have either (2,2,5) or (4,5) as we had before.

Hope this makes things simpler.

I too have a confusion regarding this problem:
Question 1:
------------
"So all abelian groups of order 20 are: (Z_20)=iso-to(Z_5)x(Z_4) or (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2)"
Here the order of (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2) is lcm(5,2,2) = 10. As the isomorphism is order preserving, Z_20 being order 20 and (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2) being order 10 are not isomorphic,. Please correct me if i am wrong here or missing something!

Question 2:
------------
Also, in "First Course in Abstract Algebra by Fraleigh" Example:11.13: Find all abelian groups upto isomorphism of order 360?
Solution for this example is given as:
1. (Z_2)x(Z_2)x(Z_2)x(Z_3)x(Z_3)x(Z_5) ----> 2^3 * 3^2 *5 ---- order = lcm(2,3,5) = 30
and then he proceeds with prime Factorization of n = 360.
As this (Z_2)x(Z_2)x(Z_2)x(Z_3)x(Z_3)x(Z_5) being order 30, how can it be listed under Finite abelian groups of order 360.

Thanks,

seshikanth said:
I too have a confusion regarding this problem:
Question 1:
------------
"So all abelian groups of order 20 are: (Z_20)=iso-to(Z_5)x(Z_4) or (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2)"
Here the order of (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2) is lcm(5,2,2) = 10. As the isomorphism is order preserving, Z_20 being order 20 and (Z_5)x(Z_2)x(Z_2) being order 10 are not isomorphic,. Please correct me if i am wrong here or missing something!

You are wrong or missing something. Look at Z_2 x Z_3 for example. What are its elements?
First fix the first factor to 0. The elements of this kind are (0,0), (0,1), (0,2). Now fix the second factor to 1. The elements of this kind are (1,0), (1,1), (1,2). For a total of 3+3 = 2 x 3 = 6. You can generalize this argument to see that Z_n x Z_m x ... x Z_l has n x m x ... x l elements, and not lcm(n, m, ..., l).

Hi,
In the example above Z2 x Z3 has order 6. Note that order is minimum smallest integer sothat any element in the Group goes to identity element. In Number of elements, m*n*o*p*... , there may be elements repetitive. For example., Group (Cartesian product) Z4 * Z2 has order 4. Because (1,1) + (1,1) ... (4 times ) .. = (0,0)
But the product 4*2 = 8elements has repetitions due to modular arithmetic.

So, the order of Zm * Zn * Zo * ... = lcm(m,n,o,p...)

THanks,

hmmm... ok i got it!

The order of a group is just it's cardinality.

Not to be confused with the order of an element of the group.

Yep, you were just confusing your definition of the order of a group. Given that we already have a word for the number of elements in a group, it's cardinality, maybe your definition makes more sense :approve:

If we were using this definition, then for an integer n I guess that you would just have all groups of the form Z_n x Z_(x_1) x Z_(x_2) x ... x Z_(x_k) where the x_i are all divisors of n.

1. What is an abelian group?

An abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation, typically denoted by "+", that satisfies the commutative property. This means that the order in which the elements are combined does not change the result. In other words, a + b = b + a for any elements a and b in the group.

2. How are abelian groups different from non-abelian groups?

The main difference between abelian groups and non-abelian groups is the commutative property. In non-abelian groups, the order of operations matters and a + b may not always equal b + a. Additionally, abelian groups are a special type of non-abelian group where the commutative property holds for all elements, while in non-abelian groups, it may only hold for some elements.

3. How do you determine if a group is abelian?

To determine if a group is abelian, you must check if the operation is commutative for all elements in the group. This can be done by performing the operation on all possible pairs of elements and comparing the results. If the order does not affect the result, then the group is abelian.

4. What is the significance of finding all abelian groups up to isomorphism?

By finding all abelian groups up to isomorphism, we are able to classify and understand the different types of abelian groups. This can help us identify patterns and similarities between groups and make connections to other areas of mathematics. It also allows us to generalize properties and theorems that hold for all abelian groups.

5. How does one go about finding all abelian groups up to isomorphism?

There is no single method for finding all abelian groups up to isomorphism. It involves a combination of understanding the properties and structure of abelian groups, as well as utilizing various mathematical tools such as group theory and abstract algebra. It also requires a thorough analysis of the different types of abelian groups and their defining characteristics.