QED: Electron Spin & Magnetic Moment - Questions & Answers

In summary: But then again, maybe he's talking about an electron that only exchanges photons with another electron...I'm really confused now.In summary,Richard Feynman's book, "QED-the strange theory of light and matter", discusses the strange theory of light and matter. He discusses how any electron or photon can be polarized relative to the dimensions of space and time, and there are 4 possible states of polarization- X,Y,Z,T. He also says that electrons can exist in 4 conditions of polarization. However, Feynman notes that this does not make sense because only +/- 1/2 in two directions makes 4 possible conditions. Additionally, he explains the magnetic moment of an electron by adding up the probabilities of all
Urmi Roy
Hi,
I've been doing Quantum Electrodynamics,and I've just finished the third chapter of QED-the strange theory of light and matter,by Richard Feynman.

I have just three questions in regard to this...

1. what does Feynman mean when he says that any electron or photon can be polarized relative to the dimensions of space and time, and so there are 4 possible states of polarization- X,Y,Z,T...(I'm specially confused as to what the T here is..if it's time,how can an electron be polarised in the time direction?)

Also,he says that electrons can exist in 4 conditions of polarization...but since polarization is basically the spin of an electron...and an electron can only have a spin of +/- 1/2 (only 2 possibilities),...this doesn't make sense.

(pg 120, QED-the strange theory of light and matter)

2. What does Feynman mean by the magnetic moment of an electron...he calculates it by adding up the probabilities of all the ways a photon from a magnetic field can interact with an electron...how can interpret this?

( Third chapter, QED-the strange theory of light and matter)

3. Unlike electrons,(which may change their polarization states while traveling from one point to another in space-time),why are photons not able to change their polarisation states after being emitted from their sources?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's four questions. I think I can help with this one
electrons can exist in 4 conditions of polarization...but since polarization is basically the spin of an electron...and an electron can only have a spin of +/- 1/2 (only 2 possibilities),...this doesn't make sense.
Yes, but +/- 1/2 in in 2 directions makes 4.

2. What does Feynman mean by the magnetic moment of an electron...he calculates it by adding up the probabilities of all the ways a photon from a magnetic field can interact with an electron...how can interpret this?
Magnetic moment is defined to be how something reacts to a magnet field. Like a compass needle feeling a force in a magnetic field because it has a dipole magnet moment. So measuring the interaction between an electron and a magnetic field is exactly calculating its magnetic moment. Nothing to interpret.

I think the other questions are worth asking. Maybe someone else can explain.

Mentz114 said:
That's four questions. I think I can help with this one

Yes, but +/- 1/2 in in 2 directions makes 4. .

I'm sorry,but I didn't exactly understand what you meant by two directions ( I must be sounding really dumb,but please forgive me)...I thought that the + and - represented the clockwise and counterclockwise directions...so we have already accounted for the two directions...also,does this not apply to photons(Richard Feynman says that for photons,the probability ampliudes for two of the possible conditions cancel out..I didn't understand why.)

P.S I'm sorry to be squeezing in more stuff into this thread...but I just recalled,(in relation to the interaction between an electron and a magnetic field),that there is a slight ambiguity as to if an electron performs photon exchanges only in a magnetic (or electric field)...if there is no external influence,does the electron still perform photon exchanges?

Last edited:
The +/- 1/2 is a magnitude. The spin axis is also aligned in a direction.

Mentz114 said:
The spin axis is also aligned in a direction.

...any two mutually perpendicular directions, if I'm not wrong.

Yep, which makes the 4 states you're looking for.

that there is a slight ambiguity as to if an electron performs photon exchanges only in a magnetic (or electric field)...if there is no external influence,does the electron still perform photon exchanges?

Real photons can be spontaneously emitted but I'm not sure if that's relevant. The interaction with a field obviously needs a field to be there.

Mentz114 said:
Real photons can be spontaneously emitted but I'm not sure if that's relevant. The interaction with a field obviously needs a field to be there.

Thanks Mentz114 for all your answers...actually I was pondering over the fact that Richard Feynaman calls an electron that moves from one place to another without emitting or absorbing photons as 'ideal' and adds up the probability amplitudes for the electron to emit or absorb photons only when calculating the 'magnetic moment'...so I thought that it might be that we add the probabilities for the photon exchanges only in a field.

1. What is the significance of electron spin in quantum mechanics?

Electron spin is a fundamental property of subatomic particles, including electrons. In quantum mechanics, it is described as a form of intrinsic angular momentum, and plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules.

2. How does electron spin relate to magnetic moment?

Electron spin is directly related to the magnetic moment of an electron. The spin of an electron creates a small magnetic field, which can interact with an external magnetic field. This interaction is what gives rise to phenomena such as magnetism and the Zeeman effect.

3. What is the relationship between electron spin and the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers. This is closely related to electron spin, as the spin quantum number is one of the four quantum numbers that uniquely identifies an electron within an atom. This principle helps to explain the organization of electrons within atoms.

4. Can electron spin be observed experimentally?

Yes, electron spin can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as electron spin resonance (ESR) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These techniques use external magnetic fields to manipulate and measure the spin of electrons in a sample.

5. How does electron spin play a role in modern technology?

Electron spin has a wide range of applications in modern technology, including magnetic data storage, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and spin-based electronics or spintronics. It is also a crucial component in the development of quantum computers and other advanced technologies.