Understanding the Physics Behind Moving a Car with a Rope and a Pole

In summary, when you attach a strong rope or steel cable to a light pole and a car parked on a downhill incline, it is easier to move the car by having a student pull or push perpendicularly on the rope in the center rather than pushing it directly. This can be proved mathematically by considering the trigonometric components of the force applied on the car and the angle of the cable.
Tearsandrille

Homework Statement

You attach a strong rope or steel cable to a light pole and a car parked on a downhill incline. If you have a student lift, pull, or push perpendicularly on the rope in the center it will be easier to move the car than if you were to push it. Why? Prove this mathematically.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it has something to do with the tension, but I can't figure out exactly how it works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tearsandrille said:
You attach a strong rope or steel cable to a light pole and a car parked on a downhill incline. If you have a student lift, pull, or push perpendicularly on the rope in the center it will be easier to move the car than if you were to push it. Why? Prove this mathematically.

Hi Tearsandrille! :smile:

(do you mean a lamp post? :wink:)

Hint: Suppose the rope has length L, and is at an angle θ to the direct line between the car and the lamp post … if you push it with force F in the middle, what is the force on the car?

I did mean lamp post. You'll have to excuse me there, my brain was friend trying to draw all the FBD and vectors.

So, wouldn't the force on the car be tan(theta) * Fapp.

My trig isn't so great, but how is that less than the force you would need to push the car? I believe in order to push the car it would be m*g*sin(theta).

Hi Tearsandrille! :wink:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Tearsandrille said:
So, wouldn't the force on the car be tan(theta) * Fapp.

Nope.

Take components along the line of the Fapp. :smile:

1. How does a car move?

A car moves by converting chemical energy from gasoline into mechanical energy through the combustion process in the engine. This energy is then transferred to the wheels, causing them to turn and move the car forward.

2. What makes a car accelerate?

A car accelerates when the engine produces more power than the resistance forces acting against it, such as friction and air resistance. This allows the car to overcome these forces and gain speed.

3. How do you control the speed and direction of a car?

The speed and direction of a car are controlled by the driver through the use of pedals, steering wheel, and gears. The accelerator pedal controls the amount of fuel entering the engine, while the brake pedal slows the car down. The steering wheel allows the driver to change the direction of the wheels, which ultimately determines the direction of the car.

4. What factors affect a car's performance?

Several factors can affect a car's performance, such as the weight of the car, engine size and power, aerodynamics, and road conditions. The type of fuel used and the condition of the car's engine and tires can also impact its performance.

5. How can you improve a car's performance?

There are several ways to improve a car's performance, such as regular maintenance, upgrading to a more powerful engine, improving aerodynamics through modifications, and using high-performance tires. Ensuring proper fuel and air intake can also enhance a car's performance.