Driving Force of 1500 kg Car: 22600 N

• Thread starter moshrom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Force
In summary, a racing car with a mass of 1500 kg is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2 and experiencing a lift force of 600 N [up] and grounding effects of 1000 N [down]. The question asks for the driving force needed to counteract friction and maintain the car's acceleration, with a given coefficient of friction of 1.0. The correct answer is 22600 N.
moshrom

Homework Statement

A racing car of mass 1500 kg, is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2, is experiencing a lift force of 600 N [up], due to its streamlined shape, and grounding effects of 1000 N [down], due to air dams and spoilers. Find the driving force needed to keep the car going given that μk = 1.0.

Homework Equations

Friction=μ x normal force, Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably an easy problem. I've done everything else on my page, but this one just doesn't make sense for some reason. The question asks for 'the driving force to keep the car going.' I assumed this is the force required to counteract friction minus the force of acceleration... Though I'm probably wrong. The question is either poorly worded or I'm missing something. Why would a net downwards force affect anything?

The given answer is 22600 N. Thanks, all help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the text of the problem wants you to determine the driving force which is needed to accelerate the car at the rate of 5m/s^2, if the normal force is the resultant of gravity, lift and the grounding effects.

ehild

1. What is a "driving force"?

The driving force of a car refers to the energy or force that is used to propel the car forward. It is usually measured in newtons (N) or horsepower (hp).

2. How is the driving force of a car calculated?

The driving force of a car can be calculated by multiplying the car's mass (in kilograms) by its acceleration (in meters per second squared). This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion: force (F) = mass (m) x acceleration (a).

3. Why is the driving force of a car important?

The driving force of a car is important because it determines how fast and how far the car can travel. It also affects the car's acceleration and ability to overcome resistance from factors such as friction and air resistance.

4. How does the driving force of a car affect fuel efficiency?

The driving force of a car can have a significant impact on fuel efficiency. A more powerful driving force may result in faster acceleration and higher speeds, but it also requires more fuel. On the other hand, a lower driving force may result in slower acceleration and lower speeds, but it can also improve fuel efficiency.

5. Can the driving force of a car be increased?

Yes, the driving force of a car can be increased by increasing the power of the car's engine or by reducing its weight. However, it is important to note that increasing the driving force also means using more energy and can result in higher fuel consumption.