U-substitution - Where does the dx go?

• Thread starter HorseBox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, u-substitution can be used to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable u for a more complex expression in the integrand. The formula for u-substitution is \int f(g(x))g'(x)dx = \int f(u) du, where the dx part is adjusted by g'(x)dx to act as du. This can be confusing at first, but once the connection is made, it becomes much easier to understand.
HorseBox
I'm having serious trouble with the concept of u-substitution. Using this as an example
int 2x(x2−1)4
I make u = x2−1
first thing I don't get is why du/dx = 2x is rearranged to du = 2xdx. Second thing I don't get is where the dx dissappears to. In this method is 2xdx just being represented as du? The part that confuses me is how you can represent something in an integrand as the derivative of another term in the integrand. I'm completely lost there.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks better if you write this out:

[tex] \int f(g(x))g'(x)dx = \int f(u) du [/tex]

this is the substitution formula, the [tex] dx [/tex] part is adjusted by [tex] g'(x)dx [/tex]
to act as [tex] du [/tex]

so, 2x is the g'(x) part, x^4 is your f(x) part, and g(x) = x^2 -1

Ah that explains it. I wasn't thinking of the dx being replaced by du. Thanks alot. Its funny how something which seemed incomprehendable falls into place in a matter of seconds once after making a small connection. That LaTeX code is fairly cool.

1. What is u-substitution and when is it used?

U-substitution is a technique used in calculus to make it easier to integrate complex functions. It involves substituting a new variable, u, for a portion of the original function. This is typically used when the original function contains a composition of functions, such as a polynomial inside a trigonometric function.

2. Where does the "dx" go when using u-substitution?

The "dx" is not eliminated when using u-substitution. It is still included in the integral, but it is now written in terms of the new variable, u. This allows for easier integration of the function.

3. How do you choose the substitution variable "u"?

The substitution variable "u" should be chosen in a way that simplifies the original function and makes it easier to integrate. It is often helpful to choose u as a portion of the original function that can be easily differentiated.

4. Can you use u-substitution for all types of integrals?

No, u-substitution is only applicable for integrals that contain a composition of functions. It cannot be used for integrals that involve trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, or other special functions.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute back for the original variable after integrating in terms of u. It is important to always go back and replace u with the original variable in order to get the final answer. Another mistake is choosing the wrong substitution variable, which can make the integral more complicated instead of simplifying it.