Mathematician or Physicist: Who is More Valued and Why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value and differences between mathematicians and physicists. The speaker asks which is more valued and why, and the response is that it depends on what is being valued and at what level the person is being hired. The conversation also touches on the idea that teaching and writing textbooks require different skill sets, and that a really good teacher may seem less intelligent because they make difficult concepts seem easy. The conversation ends with a question about recommended books for self-learning set theory, with one recommendation mentioned.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

Let's assume that I were looking for someone academic and intelligent -- and along came a mathematician and a physicist, and I'd have to choose between the two. Which is valued more, and why?

I ask this because we get problems in mathematics that are very textbook-related, and we are asked to solve problems using mathematical models every once in a while. Whereas problems in physics seem to require much more thought, to be honest. I have also always been in awe of how much a physics teacher knows compared to a mathematics teacher -- why is this? I ask this because pretty much every one of my peers agrees.

So which is better -- a mathematician, or a physicist?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which is better? Neither.

Looking for someone intelligent? Either.

Which is more valued? Depends.

Does that help? :smile:

It depends on what you value. Also at what level are you? Matters a lot.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Let's assume that I were looking for someone academic and intelligent -- and along came a mathematician and a physicist, and I'd have to choose between the two. Which is valued more, and why?

Looking for what?

If you are hiring people then you want to hire the person you don't have already. If you have a physicist on the team, then you hire the mathematician. If you already have a mathematician on the team, then you hire the physicist. Also, it may but that what you really need is neither a physicist or mathematician but rather an ex-football coach.

I ask this because we get problems in mathematics that are very textbook-related, and we are asked to solve problems using mathematical models every once in a while. Whereas problems in physics seem to require much more thought, to be honest.

That's because you are reading a textbook. Things are totally different when you are *writing* textbooks. One other thing is that there is also a difference in skill sets between mathematicians and mathematics teachers. Also one thing that I've found is that really, really good mathematics teachers sometimes seem a lot less brilliant than they really are. The reason for this is that if you have a really, really good mathematics teacher, what they talk about seems totally trivially obvious, which means them see less intelligent.

I had a brilliant math teacher that taught set theory, and he made it seem *incredibly* trivial. It seems so easy that you wondered why people even bothered teaching that stuff. Until one day, he had a cold, and his assistant taught the class, and then you realized how brilliant the math teacher was.

Last edited:
twofish-quant said:
I had a brilliant math teacher that taught set theory, and he made it seem *incredibly* trivial. It seems so easy that you wondered why people even bothered teaching that stuff. Until one day, he had a cold, and his assistant taught the class, and then you realized how brilliant the math teacher was.
Just curious, are there any books you'd recommend for self-learning set theory?
I have the book Axiomatic Set Theory by Patrick Suppes, have you come across it by any chance?

1. What is the main difference between a mathematician and a physicist?

The main difference between a mathematician and a physicist is the focus of their study. Mathematicians primarily deal with abstract concepts and use logical reasoning to solve problems, while physicists study the physical world and use mathematical principles to explain and predict its behavior.

2. How do the education and training paths differ for mathematicians and physicists?

The education and training paths for mathematicians and physicists are similar in the earlier years, as both require a strong foundation in mathematics and science. However, as they progress in their studies, mathematicians tend to focus more on theoretical concepts and proofs, while physicists focus on experimental research and practical applications.

3. Can a mathematician also be a physicist, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible for a mathematician to also have knowledge and skills in physics, and for a physicist to also have a strong understanding of mathematics. In fact, many mathematicians and physicists collaborate and work together on research projects, as their fields are closely related.

4. What types of problems do mathematicians and physicists typically work on?

Mathematicians often work on abstract problems involving numbers, patterns, and relationships, and they use mathematical tools and techniques to solve these problems. Physicists, on the other hand, work on real-world problems related to the behavior of matter and energy, and they use mathematical models and theories to explain and predict physical phenomena.

5. Is one field considered more important or prestigious than the other?

Both mathematics and physics are important fields of study that have made significant contributions to human knowledge and advancement. They are both highly respected and prestigious fields, and one is not considered more important than the other. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal interest and career goals in choosing to pursue either mathematics or physics.