Beam Deflection Problem: Determining Slope and Deflection at a Point x on a Beam

In summary, the problem involves determining the slope and deflection at a specific point on a beam using the bending stiffness equation. The reactions at the left and right supports are determined by taking moments. However, when trying to find the integration constants, A and B, there is difficulty simplifying the complicated fraction for A. It is suggested to check the expression for A by setting a=b and the gradient to zero at the centre.
IIan

Homework Statement

Determine the slope and deflection at the point x on the beam (attached image)

Homework Equations

Bending stiffness equation: EIV'' = M
where E = young's modulus, I = second moment of area, V = deflection, M = moment

The Attempt at a Solution

By taking moments about both supports I have determined the reactions at the left and right supports to be b/(a+b) and a/(a+b) respectively.

Cutting the beam between point x and the right hand support:

EIV'' = M = bx/(a+b) - <x-a> (where <> are macaulay brackets)

EIV' = bx^2/2(a+b) - (<x-a>^2)/2 + A

EIV = bx^3/6(a+b) - (<x-a>^3)/6 + Ax + B

Here's where I get confused:

Using V=0 at the boundary conditions (x=0 and x=a+b) to find the integration constants, B is found to be 0 but A always comes out as a complicated fraction that I can't seem to simplify to get anything sensible.

I know the final answers are supposed to be: V' = (ab/3)((a-b)/(a+b))
and V =-a^2b^2/3(a+b)

I have worked through the question several times and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong so any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• beamQ.GIF
    beamQ.GIF
    1.5 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked your complicated expression for "A" by putting a=b and setting the gradient to zero at the centre? It is no guarantee if it is correct, but, if it is incorrect in this special case, then it will be incorrect more generally.

1. What is beam deflection problem?

Beam deflection problem is a structural engineering problem that involves calculating the amount of bending or displacement that a beam experiences when a load is applied to it. It is an important consideration in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings.

2. What factors affect beam deflection?

The amount of beam deflection is influenced by several factors, including the type of load applied, the material of the beam, its length, and its cross-sectional shape. The position and magnitude of the load also play a role in determining the beam's deflection.

3. How is beam deflection calculated?

There are several methods for calculating beam deflection, including analytical methods such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory and numerical methods such as the finite element method. These methods use equations and algorithms to determine the deflection of a beam under a given load.

4. Can beam deflection cause structural failure?

In most cases, beam deflection is a normal and expected phenomenon in structural design. However, excessive deflection can lead to structural failure, especially in cases where the beam is supporting a heavy load or is made of a weaker material. It is important for engineers to consider deflection limits in their designs to ensure the structural integrity of a building or bridge.

5. How can beam deflection be minimized?

There are several strategies for minimizing beam deflection, including using stiffer materials, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, and using additional support structures such as columns or braces. Proper design and analysis techniques can also help reduce the amount of deflection in a beam.