Exploring the Possibility of Visible Light from an Oscillator

In summary, an antenna connected to an oscillator that reaches the visible spectrum would not generate light because the cable between the two does not transmit at those frequencies. While no frequency can pass through metal, it is possible for a radio generator to work by emitting in a way that bypasses the metal obstruction, potentially through surface generation. Photomixing, which involves using lasers to create varying resistance in GaAs, has been used to generate terahertz radiation but has not yet been used for visible spectrum frequencies.
ChrisAndre
If an oscillator were to ever reach the visible spectrum, would an antenna connected with the oscillator output generate light?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, because the cable between the oscillator and the antenna does not transmit at those frequencies. You can't see through copper.

Okay, Thanks. But, as far as I know, no frequency can pass through metal. So if somehow a radio generator works it must be emitting in some way that bypasses the metal obstruction (maybe the surface is where the output wave is generated?) If light behaves mostly like the generic radio wave then I'm guessing that it can be transmitted like radio waves. But I do understand that a cable probably wouldn't carry a frequency like that. I'm guessing it's the capacitance.

Another question: can photomixing* be used to generate an oscillation at visible spectrum frequencies? Say just bombarding a target with a single laser beam to create the frequency in resistance that can be used with some sort of mechanism that won't dissipate the oscillation.

*photomixing involves bombarding GaAs with two different lasers to create varying resistance in the GaAs that is a frequency that is the difference of the laser wavelengths; to my knowledge it has so far been used to generate terahertz radiation, or far infrared waves.

1. What is an oscillator?

An oscillator is a device that produces repetitive oscillations or vibrations, typically in the form of electrical or electromagnetic signals. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios and clocks.

2. Can visible light be produced from an oscillator?

Yes, it is possible for an oscillator to produce visible light. This can occur through a process known as electroluminescence, where an electric current passing through certain materials produces light.

3. What is the potential impact of producing visible light from an oscillator?

The potential impact of producing visible light from an oscillator is significant. This could lead to more efficient and versatile lighting options, as well as advancements in technology such as displays and sensors.

4. What research has been done on this topic?

There have been numerous studies and experiments conducted on the possibility of producing visible light from an oscillator. Some research has focused on utilizing different materials and frequencies to achieve this, while others have explored potential applications for this technology.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to producing visible light from an oscillator?

There are still some challenges and limitations to overcome in producing visible light from an oscillator. These include finding materials that can efficiently convert electrical energy into visible light, as well as developing more practical and cost-effective methods for incorporating this technology into everyday devices.