Heat transfer internal flow through circular tube.

In summary, the speaker has an enclosure with electrical components producing 10,500BTU/hr of heat. They are using a circular aluminum tube air-to-air heat exchanger to cool the internal hot air, with 33 tubes in total. The speaker wants to determine if this setup is capable of removing the 10,500BTU/hr of heat. They ask for advice on how to approach this problem and if there are any online examples they can follow. The suggested solution is to calculate the heat transfer using the formula UATln and finding the appropriate h-values for the problem. This can be done using heat transfer handbooks or online calculators. The speaker is warned that this is not a simple problem and may require more information.
CruiserFJ62
I have an enclosure in which the electrical components put off 10,500BTU/hr. At the top of the enclosure the internal hot air is in contact with circular aluminum tubes. Ambient outside air at 70 degrees F is blown through the center of the tubes at 500cfm. Internal hot air and outside ambient air are separated by the aluminum tube wall. It is a air to air heat exchanger of sorts. I need to determine if with 33 aluminum tubes I can remove the 10,500BTU/hr. How do I approch this problem, any online examples I can follow? Can I simplify and just look at what 1 tube is able to remove and then multipy to determine the systems capabilities?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The short answer is probably "yes," but only if you don't care what the temperature is inside the enclosure.

A more useful answer will require a better description of the problem. At a minimum, you'll need the maximum allowable temperature inside the enclosure, and dimensions & wall thickness of the tubes. You may also need a description of how the electrical components and the tubes themselves affect circulation inside the enclosure and, depending on wall thickness, the type of aluminum.

You may be able to get an estimate using a smaller enclosure, heat rate of 10500/33 BTU/hr, and 500/33 cfm.

Check out http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calculators3A_1_Sub.html . They have a number of heat transfer calculators that might help.

Good luck -- it's not a simple problem!

Is the internal hot air forced or natural convection? Normally you can calculate any heat exchanger problem with UATln. The area would be the inside or outside area of one tube times the amount of tubes. The choice of inside or outside surface area depends on how you calculate the heat transfer coëfficient U. You will need to find h-values for your particular problem which would be the hard part I think. But any good heat transfer handbook has examples like yours I think.

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important in internal flow through circular tubes?

Heat transfer is the process of energy exchange between two or more objects or substances due to temperature difference. In internal flow through circular tubes, heat transfer is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of various systems such as heat exchangers, engines, and refrigeration units.

2. What are the different modes of heat transfer in internal flow through circular tubes?

The three main modes of heat transfer in internal flow through circular tubes are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid medium, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid medium, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How does the geometry of a circular tube affect heat transfer in internal flow?

The geometry of a circular tube, specifically the diameter and length, can affect the rate of heat transfer. A larger diameter tube allows for a larger surface area for heat exchange, while a longer tube increases the contact time between the fluid and the tube wall, resulting in a higher rate of heat transfer.

4. What factors influence the heat transfer coefficient in internal flow through circular tubes?

The heat transfer coefficient is influenced by factors such as the properties of the fluid, the flow velocity, the tube material, and the surface roughness of the tube wall. In general, a higher fluid velocity and a smoother tube surface result in a higher heat transfer coefficient.

5. How is heat transfer quantified in internal flow through circular tubes?

Heat transfer in internal flow through circular tubes is typically quantified using the Nusselt number, which is a dimensionless parameter that relates the convective heat transfer to the conductive heat transfer. It takes into account the fluid properties, flow conditions, and tube geometry to determine the rate of heat transfer. Other commonly used parameters include the Reynolds number and the Prandtl number.