European Vs. North American Masters degree

In summary, if you're planning to stay and live in the Canada/USA then you should have your education (especailly if it's a higher one) in Canada/USA as well. However, if you're concerned about the transition back to the US, then a European masters degree may not be as valued, depending on your career goals.
Hercule Poirot
I recently finished my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering in Canada, and I'm planning to continue to finish at the masters level and in this regard i am particulary looking to do so in europe where many technical schools offer what they call international masters degree (i.e. programs that are taught in English). I am considering the field of microelectronics and/or nanotechnology.

My concern is regarding the transition itself and how it could effect my career when I return to north america to get a job or to continue for a Phd. For instance, does north american companies value a "european" masters degree in EE as much it does for a north american one?

Logically, one could say "if you're planning to stay and live in the Canada/USA then you should have your education (especailly if it's a higher one) in Canada/USA as well", but then to how much extent is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hercule Poirot said:
I recently finished my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering in Canada, and I'm planning to continue to finish at the masters level and in this regard i am particulary looking to do so in europe where many technical schools offer what they call international masters degree (i.e. programs that are taught in English). I am considering the field of microelectronics and/or nanotechnology.

My concern is regarding the transition itself and how it could effect my career when I return to north america to get a job or to continue for a Phd. For instance, does north american companies value a "european" masters degree in EE as much it does for a north american one?

Logically, one could say "if you're planning to stay and live in the Canada/USA then you should have your education (especailly if it's a higher one) in Canada/USA as well", but then to how much extent is that true?

I may be wrong, but aren't the Canadian educational system more similar to the UK system than the US? You do have such things as the A-level exams, don't you? So I think there is less of a concern with your degree being acceptable in Europe. There could be some if you're thinking of working in the US.

Zz.

BTW, what i mean by Europe is continental europe, i didn't mean to inculde the UK.

There is no "A level" in Canada, however Canadian universities accept them as basis for admission from international students, though it requires the SAT from U.S students. In general, the system in Canada is similar to that in the U.S, hence the expression north american, you also have to consider the fact of free trade and movement b/w the two countries which facilitates the transfer of educational qualifications and degrees and bridges any differences b/w their respective educational systems.

Oh well, then I was wrong.

And yes, I did know you meant Europe rather than just UK, but UK educational system is well-known throughout Europe, so typically acceptance and accredition aren't a problem, no?

Zz.

What is the difference between a European and North American Masters degree?

The main difference between a European and North American Masters degree is the structure of the programs. European Masters degrees tend to be more specialized and focused on a specific subject, while North American Masters degrees offer a broader range of courses and a more general education. Additionally, the grading systems and credit requirements may differ between the two regions.

Which region is considered more prestigious for obtaining a Masters degree?

This is a subjective question as the prestige of a Masters degree can vary depending on the field of study and the individual university. Generally, both Europe and North America have highly reputable universities that offer top-quality Masters programs.

Are there any differences in the application process for European and North American Masters programs?

The application process for European and North American Masters programs may differ slightly. In Europe, the application process may involve submitting a research proposal or personal statement, while in North America, applicants may need to take standardized tests such as the GRE. Additionally, the required documents and deadlines may vary between the two regions.

Do European and North American Masters degrees have the same value in the job market?

In most cases, both European and North American Masters degrees hold the same value in the job market. Employers value the skills and knowledge gained from a Masters degree, regardless of the region in which it was obtained. However, it is always important to research the job market in your desired field to understand any potential regional preferences.

Can I transfer my Masters degree credits between Europe and North America?

Transferring Masters degree credits between Europe and North America can be challenging as the credit systems and course structures may differ. However, some universities have partnerships or agreements that allow for credit transfers. It is best to check with the specific universities you are interested in to see if this is a possibility.